Quito things to do

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Quito things to do

Postby Alpine_Resort » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:39 pm

We're (husband and I) doing a Galapagos tour and then the Ecuador experience tour after which we've got 3 days in Quito. I'm wondering if anyone has some ideas of things we should do. I'm thinking of going to Mindo. I've seen some reviews of a Macquipiqui lodge that looks really nice. We've done the ziplining thing and I'm more interested in jungle hikes than adrenalin rush stuff. Has anyone been to Pappalacta?
Thanks!
Jodi from rural Ontario, Canada
Alpine_Resort
User Rank: Nomad

Re: Quito things to do

Postby zebracruiser » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:51 am

I stopped at Papallacta on the way to the Napo River - Caso Del Suizo lodge in the Amazon Basin. Loved the hot springs - beautiful setting along a mountain river and had an excellent lunch there as well. Also loved Caso del Suizo - sweet lodge overlooking the river - took day trips out to explore by boat, hiking, tubing on the river and visiting the local villages. The drive there through the Andes is spectacular.
zebracruiser
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby northstar56 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:57 pm

We were in Quito two winters ago. Mindo was a highlight! Definitely go and see it.
We stayed a Villa Nancy - not fancy but definitely friendly. Through the Villa's owner, we hired a local guide (Angel) and his van to drive us to the Otavello market. It was a day long excursion. Another couple at the Villa came with us and we split the cost. Very inexpensive.
We also spent a day on the bus and train system in Quito. We visited the old historic "downtown" and just wandered around taking it all in. Be very wary of random people striking up conversations with you! Lots of scammers and pickpockets.
northstar56
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Alpine_Resort » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:17 pm

Thanks! I'm still curious about Maquipicuna. Sounds like Mindo might be the place to go.
Jodi from rural Ontario, Canada
Alpine_Resort

Postby tico » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:18 pm

It all depends on what you like to do, of course.

I got back from a trip around the Quito area in early February. Both Mindo and Papallacta are great, for different things. If you want a close to nature thing, definitely go to Mindo. If you want something a little luxurious, go to Papallacta (great spa!). But don't discount Quito itself - I loved just wandering around, poking around the markets, people-watching from the cafes, and such.
tico

Postby markmol » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:40 pm

the old part of Quito is good to wander around, the Cantuña cathedral is lined inside with gold & the changing of the guards at the presidental palace is worth watching, there is also market stalls to look at.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to South America