Bungee Jumping in Banos-Ecuador

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Bungee Jumping in Banos-Ecuador

Postby joeb83 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Hey all,

anyone done bungee jumping in banos- ecuador if so, what would you suggest?

Better to do paraglyding?

Also best place to try Guniea pig....

Cheers

J
joeb83
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Bungee Jumping in Banos-Ecuador

Postby jasonatl » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:18 am

I didn't do bungee jumping in Banos, neither did anyone in my group but several did the paragliding and had a great time. There are many activities in Banos and most of quite reasonable in price. My favorite was canyoneering. If you've never repelled down a waterfall before, it's quite a unique experience.

I wouldn't recommend the quad bikes in Banos. They're expensive and poorly maintained. One of our group ended up taking a trip to the hospital when going around a corner on the quad bike and having it go out of control. Since she was going slow, in town on a paved road, and was an experienced rider, I trust her that it wasn't driver error. Luckily she got out of it with just a strained wrist.

We had Guniea Pig during our stay at Hacienda Guachalá. It was tasty but do keep in mind that the portions are small regardless of where you get it.
jasonatl

Postby joeb83 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks!!

Any recommendations for Tena...I will be there new years eve and new years day in Banos....anything interesting you would recommend?

Cheers
joeb83

Postby jasonatl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:59 pm

There is rafting in Tena but we waited until we got to Banos because our guide said the river conditions are better in Banos and it's cheaper. The Jumandy caves near Tena were fun. Underground waterfalls and swimming! The cave system is extensive so you'll need to discuss with your guide before going in about how much of it they're going to take you to. We did a short adventure of only an hour or two but it was still a great time. I enjoyed it much more than Mammoth caves in the US. Be sure to get a waterproof camera with a flash.

There is also a wildlife refuge an hour or so boat trip up the river. I don't remember the name but I suspect the local tour companies will know about it. It's interesting to hear an aviary full of parrots saying all kinds of crazy things because they were owned previously by bars or nightclubs.

Tena didn't seem like a big adventure sports location but with the Amazon, there was much to learn just by being out in the jungle.

If you make it to Cuenca while in Ecuador, be sure to go to the Central Bank Museum. They have actual shrunken human heads there. The Central Bank Museum in Quito is also worth going to if you are in town, though they have more ancient artifacts and less human body parts. :)
jasonatl

Postby northstar56 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:14 pm

HI,
I bungee jumped from a bridge outside Banos. (Sorry, I don't remember the direction or the name of the bridge.) It was within easy cycling distance. We rented the newest bikes we could find in Banos.
I found the equipment and safety to be very good. (I have done some mountain climbing so am familiar with the gear used.) Also, the staff person was very good at getting me up on the bridge rail and then letting myself fall forward - a very counter intuitive thing to do.
The bridge was over a very deep canyon with a river running though it. Very beautiful.
northstar56
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to South America