Land Galapagos - nice accomodation?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Land Galapagos - nice accomodation?

Postby jannz » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:42 pm

Hi,
Anyone here been on the Land Galapagos Trip? Did you wish that you were on a boat tour when you saw others hanging out on their yachts? Also curious to know about the hotels - are they nice? Did they have safes for valuables? My backpacking days are over and I'm leaning towards a "comfort class" trip but I'm worried about getting seasick on the boats. The itinerary looks great for the land tour so this may be an option for me.
thanks,
j
jannz
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Land Galapagos - nice accomodation?

Postby AdamfromCanada » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:39 pm

jannz wrote:Hi,
Anyone here been on the Land Galapagos Trip? Did you wish that you were on a boat tour when you saw others hanging out on their yachts? Also curious to know about the hotels - are they nice? Did they have safes for valuables? My backpacking days are over and I'm leaning towards a "comfort class" trip but I'm worried about getting seasick on the boats. The itinerary looks great for the land tour so this may be an option for me.
thanks,
j

I did this trip last Spring. There's nothing overly fancy about the hotels, but there also isn't any fancy options available on most of the islands. All the places were nice, clean, pretty standard little hotels. On Floreana, the hotel is a little more basic than the others...a necessity since there's very few people that live on the island.

The trip is a great one. We really enjoyed it and there were some advantages to travelling between the islands by speedboat during the day...for instance, we saw bottlenose dolphins race our boat in the crossing between San Cristobal and Floreana.

Enjoy!
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Land Galapagos - nice accomodation?

Postby whirledmyoyster » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:01 am

Hi Adam,

I posted this on a different thread:

Galapagos, Land or Boat based? Help!

I am considering the Galapagos as my next holiday but can't decide whether to book my itinerary as land or boat based!

I'm considering either SEGL for land or EV10MA for boat.

For those of you who have done G's land based itinerary (Land Galapagos Multi Activity, SEGL), did you enjoy the itinerary and feel you got to see a lot of the islands? What was the speedboat like - the itinerary warns readers that anti nausea meds may be needed given the ride? Was the speedboat as ominous as suggested? Is it covered, exposed? Normal seats, or benches? Did you feel like a lot of time was "wasted" traveling in the speedboat to islands and returning, or a good experience?

Was the tour to Isabela, which is normally not done in the boat trips, worth it? I like the idea of hiking around the volcano which is why the land trip appeals.

For those of you who opted to do a boat based tour, what was the boat like for sleeping at night? Sea legs?

Any feedback would be appreciated...thank you!

Do you have any additional advice? Did you feel with the land based itinerary you got to see everything you wanted to see at the islands?
whirledmyoyster

Return to South America