Wondering whether to take the plunge...Help?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Wondering whether to take the plunge...Help?

Postby lara26evo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:33 am

Hi all,

Im sitting here and Ive looked at all the Peruvian tours, and am basically wondering whether to take the plunge. Firstly Ive always wanted to do Peru, since doing South American studies for my degree. Secondly I want to travel and yes I am on my own and female but am quite a strong person...I just like to make it right in my mind. Thirdly I would do a tour for South America as I feel that is safer and as it is my first time travelling I thought this seemed the best thing to do.

I want to do the Inca Heartland in jan, ive researched flights and stuff and have the money. Im just trying to take the plunge, because once it is booked, trust me I will be going. Any advice is welcome, or if anyone is going or been could you please give me your opinion?

Cheers
Lara
lara26evo
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Wondering whether to take the plunge...Help?

Postby ballu » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:24 pm

Do it! My first trip was a similar one...the Absolute Peru. I wanted to go to Peru, couldn't find a travel buddy and as a solo female wanted the safety of a group settting. That was 8 years and several trips ago...so just know this could be the first of several trips you take :)
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby klm500 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:46 pm

Definitely take the plunge! I did Absolute Peru by myself a couple of years ago and had such a fantastic time. Peru generally feels really safe, and I wandered around by myself some of the time, as well as spending plenty of time with the group. Scariest bit for me was just before landing in Lima, wondering if everything was going to run smoothly...it did, and I didn't regret going for a minute!

Let me know if you have any specific questions...

Kat.
klm500
User Rank: Traveller

Postby markmol » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:57 pm

take the plunge, Peru is amazing I traveled there a couple years ago with Gap & had an great time.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby lara26evo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:18 am

Thank you for your replies, I'm almost set on it and hearing from you guys that it went ok reassures me. Though I have done something similar, I went on my own on holiday for the first time and then again so I have no problem doing it, it's just pre nerves.
Kat did you find it a problem in Lima, heard its a bit dodge around the airport and stuff so any advice about what to do there would be appreciated. Plus would you take say your phone?
Thanks
Lara
lara26evo

Postby ballu » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:28 pm

There is an option to book an airport transfer through G Adventures...it's more expensive than a cab, but the piece of mind you have landing in a foreign city where you may not speak the language and trying to find the joining hotel...it's usually worth it for me.

Actually for Peru, I booked my first night at a nearby hostel and had them pick me up.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby lara26evo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks
I have given them a ring tonight and got them holding a placve on absolute peru, which works out slightly cheaper with flights then inca heartlands. It sounds great, my mum wants to come! So Im almost at the decision. Im going the day before to Lima in order not to miss the meeting and stuff, because I really will miss stuff....the amount of times Ive almost missed flights because a song I liked came on the ipod! So Ill need accomadation before the joining hotel and then make my way there, book into the joining and then explore, be back for the meeting and meet everyone (hopefully get along) and then the next morning go on the adventure. Im getting a little excited!
Any other advice?....and then Ill book it...I just get a bit scared but Im willing to make an adventure...whats the worst that can happen hey? as dr pepper says
Lara
lara26evo

Postby eric » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:01 pm

Inca Trail? January? How hard does it normally rain?

Regards

Eric / London / England
eric

Postby IncaTrail50 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:00 pm

When we went we booked the extra night at the joining hotel so we didn't have to change hotels. G can arrange that for you. Also, there are loads of signs at the Lima airport warning against taking a random cab outside. The safe cabs are arranged on arrival before you exit security if you opt not to arrange it ahead through G.
Enjoy...it was a fabulous trip!
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby lara26evo » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:19 am

Ive done it! Well Ive booked my flights first because they were going fast and were cheapish...plus I get to spend time in Miami! Be stupid not to really.
Got work today and then Im booking the trip! Cant believe Ive done it...but Im very excited!
Thank you all for your messages and words or encouragment....any other advice?
Lara
lara26evo

Postby lara26evo » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:22 am

eric wrote:Inca Trail? January? How hard does it normally rain?

Regards

Eric / London / England

Probably really hard.....but Ive never let a bit of rain put me off anything...Im quite hardy....probably Jan isnt the right month to do it but I have to get away from England
Lara
lara26evo

Postby klm500 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi Lara

I was really worried about Lima too, but it worked out absolutely fine.
I got a transfer from the airport, as I was arriving in early hours of the morning, and liked the idea of having someone there to meet me.
I would definitely suggest booking an extra night in the joining hotel rather than staying elsewhere, to avoid having to move again.
Miraflores district where the hotels generally are feels really safe, and I quite happily wandered around there by myself.
Definitely take a phone - useful to have a means of contact to home (although there are also internet cafes everywhere), and the signal coverage in Peru is actually really good.
Well done on booking - you will have an amazing time! Absolute Peru was the best holiday I have ever been on :)

Kat
klm500

Postby lara26evo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 am

Thanks Kat,

Well Ive done it and I am offically going because I have checked and theyve taken the money from my bank today. I took your advice and booked the hotel for the night before and because I am arriving at night I have booked a transfer.
I am very very excited...nervous as well but mostly excited. Got so much to do now...going have get myself some decent walking shoes because I am DOING that Inca Trail!

Thanks

Lara :D
lara26evo

Postby AdamfromCanada » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:07 pm

lara26evo wrote:Hi all,

Im sitting here and Ive looked at all the Peruvian tours, and am basically wondering whether to take the plunge. Firstly Ive always wanted to do Peru, since doing South American studies for my degree. Secondly I want to travel and yes I am on my own and female but am quite a strong person...I just like to make it right in my mind. Thirdly I would do a tour for South America as I feel that is safer and as it is my first time travelling I thought this seemed the best thing to do.

I want to do the Inca Heartland in jan, ive researched flights and stuff and have the money. Im just trying to take the plunge, because once it is booked, trust me I will be going. Any advice is welcome, or if anyone is going or been could you please give me your opinion?

Cheers
Lara

So what I'm reading is that you're going to Peru...just have to book the flights!

Go. Why wouldn't you? There's really no good reason not to, and it's a fantastic place to visit. Hiking the Inca Trail is an incredibly rewarding experience. It's hard...really hard, but absolutely worth it. I really enjoyed Cusco as well.

If you have the time and the money to do a trip, I can't imagine why you ever would pass it up! Go!
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada

Postby lara26evo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks for all your various pieces of advice. I've done it and am very excited about going.
Hopefully people will get in touch beforehand but if not its cool, I'm sure we will all meet soon enough!
Lara
lara26evo

Return to South America