Internet coverage on Southern Cross?!

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Internet coverage on Southern Cross?!

Postby benjibenben17 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi there peeps...

I wonder if anyone here can help - I've just booked the Southern Cross Rio to Lima 51 day tour (CODE SZRA) - very excited!!! The thing is, I run my own online business so will be working whilst travelling and will be taking my laptop (netbook) with me...

I have recently come back to the UK after 9 months travelling round Oz, Thailand and the US and was fortunate enough to find purchasing an Internet USB stick for a local network in all these countries a really easy process and my workload was fine and tied in well with our travel time between towns.

Most of the places we went to had coverage using the USB (bar the odd day here or there, such as the local village stay or elephant sanctuary etc) but going to South America and visiting a few different countries on this tour I wondered if anyone could help advise what the coverage was like and if you ever saw in any shops a universal USB stick that covered all the SA countries or if its best buying one in each country or getting one in advance???

Unfortunately I can't really rely (or wait) to get the hotels in the hope they have wifi so if there's any thoughts from anyone that's in the know that would be fantastic!

I also have an unlocked Blackberry which I used alongside my USB when it wasn't getting any coverage so i'll probably take that with me also if the countries are set up with Blackberry now.

Thanks for your help!
Ben :)
benjibenben17
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to South America