Rio Carnival 2013

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Rio Carnival 2013

Postby roguska » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:11 am

Hi,
I'm doing the Southern Cross trip ending in Rio de Janeiro in time for Carnival. I'm travelling alone and was wondering if there is anyone else planning on being in Rio for Carnival 2013 who'd potentially like to meet up, or if there is anyone who has been to Carnival before and has any recommendations on hostels for the period?
Thanks,
Anna
roguska
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Rio Carnival 2013

Postby wpoakley » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:40 pm

Hey, think we're on the same tour! Departing 26th of December from Lima right? Are you doing the Southern Cross (SXMR) or the Southern Cross with Amazon (SJMR)?

As for carnival, i'll be hanging around after the tour for sure. You'll want to get accommodation booked pretty swiftly though. Also, a lot of hostels and hotels are taking minimum bookings of 7 nights - if you're like me, and you've got somewhere to be the following week (i'm leaving rio on tuesday the 12th), the accommodation options look a little limited!

However, managed to find this and am now booked into it:

http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/br ... iro/42549/

It's right near the Sambadrome, so perfect location for carnival and partying. Transport links to the beaches are also apparently pretty good too.

I assume you'll be going to the Sambadrome? Did you have any other plans for parties/Scala balls etc?
wpoakley

Postby roguska » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:08 am

Hi!
I'm doing that tour but departing the 30th November - I'm going to be doing some volunteering in the favelas for a few weeks before carnival. I should be booking accommodation this week so I'll let you know where I end up booking but thanks for the heads up with the hostel!
Definitely going to the Sambadrome, again I need to sort my tickets for this but am hoping to go at least once! I don't know much else about the Carnival Balls but have been told there are parties everywhere, at the moment the plan is to just see what happens... How about you?
Anna
roguska

Postby wpoakley » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:47 pm

Have you got any ideas where would be best to buy tickets for the Sambadrome, or which nights would be best to go? I think the Saturday is the opening right?

As for the parties, my plan was originally to do the same, and just kind of go with the flow. I've been told the biggest and the best places though get booked up very quickly in advance though, and most of the clubs and events have guestlists that you need to be on to get in. That being said, i've never been, so I don't know. We need to find someone who has! :lol:
wpoakley

Postby TravelFun » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:21 pm

wpoakley wrote: That being said, i've never been, so I don't know. We need to find someone who has! :lol:

I've been :P

I brought my ticket when in Rio (Feb'2011) and just a few days before the carnival weekend. I got the tickets from here (legit sellers of carnival tickets):
http://www.sambaipanema.com.br/
Samba Ipanema:
Rua Visconde de Pirajá, 291 - loja A (Sede Própria)
Telefone: (21) 2523-2888

http://wateringhole.gadventures.com/vie ... =+carnival

Sunday and Monday are the nights when the schools participate and compete for the title. This was just electric...the locals were singing all the school anthems, dancing pretty much non-stop and the floats and costumes and the parades were on a completely different scale than I had envisaged. Each school event is unique and you'd enjoy it even if you went to both nights. Awesome experience...one I loved and have great memories of :P
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby wpoakley » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:59 pm

Thanks TravelFun! Very helpful :)
wpoakley

Postby denispaul » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:41 am

The Rio Carnival is one of the biggest and most spectacular parties the planet ever sees: a days-long festival of color, music and dance that illustrates to the world the depth and vibrancy of Brazilian culture.
denispaul

Postby ah_annie » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:16 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm doing that trip too! I'm so stoked hey!

You guys doing the inca trek trail? I am.... bit nervous and i'm travelling alone so this will be interesting as i've never been to South America. eeeeeeeeeee

I booked with Tucan the Rio package. Was pretty expensive but i figured it was easier then trying to sort it all out myself. Lazy :)

Looking foward to meeting everyone and making some friends.

:mrgreen:

Annie xo
ah_annie

Postby alymperez » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:02 pm

Hey all!

I will be getting into Rio on the 10th of February as I wanted a few extra days in Rio before I go on the Rio to Buenos Aires: In Search of Iguassu Falls tour that starts on the 14th. I booked the trip and then found out that it's Carnival. I'm not going to lie, I am pretty nervous about being a solo traveler during this time. Is anyone else going to be there that wants to combine forces? I would love to enjoy Carnival and Rio but feel safe at the same time!

-Aly
alymperez

Postby nicolelippay » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Hi Aly!
I will be arriving in Rio on Feb.11th, I'm doing the Rio-Lima tour that also starts on the 14th. It would be great to combine forces!
-Nicole
nicolelippay

Postby ejenner531 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Hey,

I am just about to book my flights and plan on doing the same igassu rio-BA tour! I too will be a solo traveller so it's great to know there will be some friendly faces before I arrive. I still need to book accommodation and Iv been told the majority of places have a min night stay and prices are 3x more so any recommendations welcomed? I have always wanted to see the carnival but always thought I'd go with friends so I am a little anxious about resigning from my job on Wednesday to go travelling on my own.. Let me know of you want to join forces too!

-Emily
ejenner531

Postby adriianaw » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:09 am

Hey Emily,

I am a solo traveller from Australia. Arrived in Rio on Friday and about to head out on the Iguassu Falls tour from Rio to Argentina on Friday - until the 20th Jan. Planning on staying in Buenos Aires for about a week before heading back to Rio for carnival. I actually havent booked any accommodation as my brothers girlfriend is from rio and i will be staying with her. Completely understand how hard it is to pack up your life and hit a new country on your own.

Let me know what your plans are.

Adriana

Ps is anyone on the same tour In Search Of Iguassu - Rio to Buenos Aires departing Rio this friday 4th Jan 2012, would be great to meet up before hand?!
adriianaw

Postby stef89 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:45 pm

Hi everyone!

Im also going to be in Rio for the Carnival :D , Im arriving on the 8th Feb! Im also travelling solo and am super excited but completely terrified at the same time (been watching too many hollywood films i think haha!)

Its great to know there will be lots of other people who are coming on their own, we definitely need to team up :D!

I've booked through Dragoman for the carnival but will be doing a bolivia trip and a galapagos trip with G adventures in April.

Hopefully see some of you there?

xxx
stef89

Return to South America