Airport transfer or taxi in Lima?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Airport transfer or taxi in Lima?

Postby serendipity » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm arriving in Lima at 11.20 at night next Saturday, and was wondering if it's worth booking a transfer from airport to joining hotel with GAP, or taking a local taxi instead. If anyone has experience with this, any advice will be appreciated.

I was in Quito recently, and the airport transfer booked with GAP did not show up either on arrival or departure... Plus it was $40 with GAP, and about $6 - $8 with the safe local yellow taxi. (GAP were nice and reimbursed my costs). So I know the answer for Quito, looking for the equivalent for Lima. :-)
serendipity
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Airport transfer or taxi in Lima?

Postby sinecure » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:56 pm

When we arrived in Lima there were a lot of drivers trying to pressure us into a ride. We had booked a transfer with GAP and while they weren't there right away when our plane landed they showed up about 15 min late. I was happy with our driver and would book again for Lima.

YMMV.
sinecure

Postby cando » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:34 pm

On my first trip to Lima, I missed my flight connection and had to catch a flight the next day. I had a GAP transfer booked for my original flight, but ended up getting there a day late! I ended up taking a cab instead. The cab was great. I went through customs area in Lima and there are lots of certified cab drivers in the airport. Make sure to look at their picture ID and certificate, and agree on a price before you leave.

There are lots of warning about taking cabs in Lima and rightfully so. Make sure you are only going in certified cabs during your stay!
cando
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby want_to_travel » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:55 pm

We are getting into Lima at around the same time of night. We booked transfer. On the Canadian government website it warns about taking cabs. We booked a transfer when we arrived in Quito at about the same time of night. Even though it arrived quite late I felt a lot safer as we drove through some pretty scary areas to get to the hotel. Had it been a cab I would have worried that we were being taken to some seedy area of town.
"Do or do not - there is no try" - Yoda
want_to_travel
User Rank: Traveller

Postby zebracruiser » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:49 pm

Wow, my transfer through GAP in Quito was waiting with a sign with my name when I passed through customs. It was great to not have to deal with anything after the long flights and transfers. Haven't been to Lima with G but have been there several times and if I could have a transfer waiting for me I would do it, especially late at night. The area and traffic around the airport can be crazy and it's not a particularly safe area.
zebracruiser

Postby leahlovestravel » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:56 am

I'm taking the Gap transfer when I go in May. I'm landing after midnight and will be on my own. Worth the peace of mind to have it taken care of ahead of time.
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby IndyGent » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:24 am

I think someone here recommended Taxi Green from the Lima airport. They have green picture ID tags and hang around just outside customs. I traveled from the airport with them a couple of times and never had a problem. They stuck to their quoted fare but do a little research before you go so you know what to expect in advance of arrival.
IndyGent
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby serendipity » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks all for your replies, much appreciated! I've booked a transfer with GAP, hoping it will show up, otherwise will take a licensed Taxi Green!
serendipity

Postby laoshi » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:04 am

I've booked a transfer at the airport, but just in case they don't show up, I'd like to know how much a taxi costs from the airport to the hotel in Lima? Thanks!
laoshi

Postby eva249 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:43 am

We are getting into Lima at around the same time of night. We booked transfer. On the Canadian government website it warns about taking cabs. We booked a transfer when we arrived in Quito at about the same time of night.
eva249

Postby kcupp95 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:21 am

I'm planning on booking the transfer. After travelling for 48 hours and not being able to speak a word of Spanish, the last thing I want to do is negotiate a taxi at 9pm at night.
kcupp95
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to South America