Shoes for Patagonia - boots or walking shoes?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Shoes for Patagonia - boots or walking shoes?

Postby boogaloo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:35 am

I' ve read a bit about not needing proper hiking boots for the inca trail - a good pair of walking shoes will do. But what about for Patagonia? I'd rather not have to spend more and carry around an extra load of boots if I can get away with some more versatile walking shoes.
boogaloo
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Shoes for Patagonia - boots or walking shoes?

Postby Zuleika » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:53 am

There are a number of trips to Patagonia, without knowing which one your doing its impossible to say, but generally if your doing a hiking trip, such as the Torres circuit then you will need proper boots, if not hiking then really its up to you, wear whatever your comfortable with. Take into account whether you need ankle support or not and time of year, the weather is very changeable down there so water proof would be a good idea.
And just for the record I wore hiking boots for the Inca trail - one would be crazy not to!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby boogaloo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:53 pm

Thanks Zuleika.

What I really meant was whether you really need the full on ankle support hiking boot style or whether you can just use the toned down multisport style boot (basically reinforced trainers).

I think I'll just go with some multisport Merrells without anything over the ankle.
boogaloo

Postby thecakeisalie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:56 am

Again, depends on what you're doing. The 'W' and therefore the Paine circuit have lots of places to twist an ankle. And then there's thousands of other hikes that offer the same. And will you be carrying your pack during the hikes? The weight makes a difference. I will also second the notion for waterproof footwear, rain should be expected.
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Return to South America