La Paz: worth extra day?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

La Paz: worth extra day?

Postby xpscapable » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi All,

Going on our first G Adventures tour Highlands & Amazon (PHML) from Lima to La Paz. We're thinking adding another extra day in La Paz to check the city around since we'r already there. Anyone have any opinion if it worth the extra day?

From the trip itinerary it doesn't look like we'll see much of La Paz, is this right? However if we do add another day in La Paz does it worth the extra day?

Thanks!
xpscapable
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: La Paz: worth extra day?

Postby markmol » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:12 pm

hi
not sure if you can still do this but i did a tour of San Pedro Jail, it is run by the prisoners. You go to the gate & ask the guards. There is a book about this called Marching Powder an interesting read.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby DanielBMe » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:25 pm

To be honest, not sure you need the extra day. I arrived late the night before the meetup day. I pretty much just walked thru the city at a very easy pace for the day. There really wasn't all that much to see. Keep in mind that the altitude is pretty high and so you'll find yourself out of breath quite easily.

HOWEVER, take the meetup day to do the most dangerous bike ride in the world. I didn't do it and sooooo regret it. A few people on my trip did it and thought it was fantastic.

http://www.gravitybolivia.com/index.php?mod=homeb
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby onyx007 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:56 am

I looked at your trip itinerary. And it really doesn't look like there is any time to see something of the city. As you are already there I say add an extra day there to get a better feeling of the city.

As it's said on your trip itinerary to the south of the city is the Valley of the Moon, with crater-like formations made of sand. I was there and it looks amazing. You could easy spend there a couple of hours and it's not that far from the city centre. Your tourleader should be able to give you directions. Or maybe if you're lucky you get the chance to go to a football match of the local team. It might be your highest game. I don't know but I think every saturday or sunday they block the main street in the city centre and there is a big market and music during the whole day.

The altitude is no problem as you should be OK coming from Cusco and Lake Titicaca.
onyx007

Postby Isabelle73 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:52 pm

I did the Bolivia Discovery tour a year and a half ago and because I had booked the flight before the tour (long story), I had 4 days in La Paz after the tour ended. I found there was a lot to do around there : the first day I booked a day-trip to Chacaltaya and Valley of the Moon, the next day I did the bike ride along the World's most dangerous road with Gravity and then I did another day-trip to Tiwanaku. The third was not the most exciting but I have really enjoyed the hike and the bike ride. There are also some interesting things to see in La Paz too but we had mostly covered them with a city walk with our guide on the first day of the tour.

Isabelle
Isabelle73
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby xpscapable » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Cheers, thanks for the reply. Currently our trip is still not guaranteed, so hoping that it will be guaranteed soon! I'm really looking forward for this trip, will be really bummed if we don't go.
xpscapable

Postby TravelFun » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Definately stay the extra day or two...I enjoyed walking around the city and taking in the sounds and colours. A real mix of the traditional and the modern especially when you see families together where the parents have the traditional clothing with hats and the youngsters in jeans and t-shirts.

There's also the option to get yourself to Uyuni and do the 1-day or 3-day trip across the salt flats...awesome!

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Return to South America