Hostel/budget accommodation Quito and Rio de Janeiro

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Hostel/budget accommodation Quito and Rio de Janeiro

Postby dawkaw » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:09 am

Can anyone recommend a hostel or budget accommodation in both Quito and Rio de Janeiro. I would prefer it to be quiet and not a party hostel. Thanks.
dawkaw
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Hostel/budget accommodation Quito and Rio de Janeiro

Postby katyd » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:24 am

I visited Rio in October and stayed at Ron Rio Flats http://www.ronrioflats.com/ I highly recommend this place.

It was very affordable and a great place to stay. The location was perfect, inbetween ipanema and copacabana beaches, walking distance to both. I think it's advertised as a hostel - but is a private apartment in Arpoador. After I booked it, Ron contacted me via email the next day and asked a few questions so he could set up the apartment accordingly. Who we were, what currency we would prefer to pay with, and when we thought we would be arriving. There was three of us, girls. He set up the apartment with three twin beds and met us there about a hour after our plane landed.

The best part was that after we arrived, he brought us up to the apartment and talked to us for about an hour with map in his hand and showed us where we were and where the things were that we wanted to do. He also offered several suggestions on thing to do, too. He also led us in the direction of a grocery store... The apartment has a full kitchen. If you have not already booked something, you must check this place out.
katyd

Re: Hostel/budget accommodation Quito and Rio de Janeiro

Postby careau » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:00 am

I stayed at the Mango Tree Hostel and would recommend it highly. There are a few people in the common areas if you feel like chatting but it's by no means a party hostal. It's in a residential area 1 block from the beach in Ipanema. Handy to the subway and restaurants. Good breakfast is included and bathrooms are very clean (some public and some private). Internet. Another good feature were small lockers near reception for valuables - especially handy when going to the beach! Also a large lockable drawer in the room. Only negative was having to leave the room/ drawer key at reception when leaving the hostel. ( but could bring your own lock for reception lockers)
careau
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to South America