Carnival in Rio 2012

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Carnival in Rio 2012

Postby garyineurope » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:50 am

I just booked the "In Search Of Iguassu - Buenos Aires to Rio" tour for February which will place me in Rio right before Carnival. If anyone else plans on being in Rio, maybe we could share the cost of a room? It's crazy expensive to do it alone. I plan on staying from the 17th-21st of February.
Also, I'd love any tips from anyone who has been to Carnival or on this tour before.
Safe travels,
G
garyineurope
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Carnival in Rio 2012

Postby baby2p3 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:14 am

Hello,

I'll be with there with a friend i think we are up for sharing a room. also try airbnb. kinda like bed n breakfast. let me know if you're interested, email titiadex@gmail.com. hope to hear from you soon.
TITI
baby2p3
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby garyineurope » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:26 am

Hi,
I think I managed to book the last affordable room in Rio. Unfortunately, it's a double room, not a triple, and the location is not top.
However, if you find a triple room that's not too crazy expensive, let me know and I may cancel my reservation and join you!
In any case - safe travels!
Gary
garyineurope

Postby cat9 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:13 am

Hi!

I'm on the same tour as you and ended up booking into the WORST sounding Hostel for the time I will be in Rio, but it was the cheapest thing available! I'm also on my own travelling and was hoping I might bump into someone doing a similar thing to me. Have you booked a tix to Carnival yet?
cat9

Postby baby2p3 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:52 am

Hey guys.. I'm excited about being rio during the carnival.... I'm still looking so is my friend.. I found a bed and breakfast website maybe i'll find something since there are maybe 4 of us.. it's called Airbnb.com. you guys can check it out too. my email is titiadex@gmail.com.. if you guys wanna chat some more.. looking forward to meet you guys :)

cheers

Titi
baby2p3

Postby carbonwong » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi all,

I just save and hold the last opening for Southern Highlights, which ends at Rio on 2/15.
http://www.gadventures.com/trips/southe ... itinerary/

I will be interested in sharing hotel or hostel rooms with you guys for Carnival from 2/15 to 2/19 or 2/20 (check out date). Let me know what you guys have decided. Thought of using Couchsurfing or Tripping but have concern for personal safety. Thanks!

Thomas.
carbonwong

Postby TravelFun » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:35 pm

cat9 wrote:Hi!

I'm on the same tour as you and ended up booking into the WORST sounding Hostel for the time I will be in Rio, but it was the cheapest thing available! I'm also on my own travelling and was hoping I might bump into someone doing a similar thing to me. Have you booked a tix to Carnival yet?

Which area will you (and the rest of you) be staying in?

I went to the carnival this year but I was there for 5 weeks and the last week was carnival week. It's fantastic and there's sooooooo many street parties which are real fun so you will need to keep track of the venues and dates. Also, do try to get a ticket to the Sambadrome to see the parade and one things for sure, the Brazilians really do know how to P-A-R-T-Y !
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby carbonwong » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:55 am

According to my South American coworker, Copacabana beach will be the best area to stay in since it is central to everything.

Currently trying to connect with another coworker's friend who may rent out her apt in Rio during Carnival...

Also, where is a legit place to buy Sambadrome ticket online? Or should I buy it once I am in Rio (or will that be too late?)
carbonwong

Postby TravelFun » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:30 pm

carbonwong wrote:According to my South American coworker, Copacabana beach will be the best area to stay in since it is central to everything.

Currently trying to connect with another coworker's friend who may rent out her apt in Rio during Carnival...

Also, where is a legit place to buy Sambadrome ticket online? Or should I buy it once I am in Rio (or will that be too late?)

I brought my ticket when in Rio (Feb'2011) and just a few days before the carnival weekend. I got the tickets from here (legit sellers of carnival tickets):
http://www.sambaipanema.com.br/
Samba Ipanema:
Rua Visconde de Pirajá, 291 - loja A (Sede Própria)
Telefone: (21) 2523-2888

Best turn up at the store and buy your ticket. You will need to be patient because there's only a couple of people that speak english (maybe different now) so it's easier to go to the store than calling them.

Santa Theresa is also a good place to stay and there are quite a few street parties that take place here. It's near to Lapa (the clubbing scene for locals and tourists alike). Actually, areas such as Gloria (where I stayed), Santa Theresa, Copacabana and Ipanema are good areas...buses and trains are good and easy to use and usually just a few stops away from most places.

Happy Travels!

TravelFun

Postby carbonwong » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks a lot Travelfun!

For everyone else who has yet to book a hotel during Carnival or want someone to share a hotel, let me know ASAP! Otherwise I will book my own in next 48 hrs. Feel free to email me at carbonwong@yahoo.com.

Also can't believe how crazy expensive it is... a hostel bed will run you $100/night! : (
carbonwong

Postby garyineurope » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:02 am

Hey,
Sorry I haven't answered anyones replies. I just returned from 2 1/2 weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia. I didn't spend anytime looking for internet cafes.
I have booked a room (a double). It was relatively cheap, so I'm assuming it's not in a great area of town. I'd be very interested in sharing a room - both to cut down on costs and to have someone to hang out with:) If you've found a 4 bed room, or apartment, please let me know - cost/location/etc. I can cancel my reservation anytime. The room I boooked only has a double bed, so sharing is not ideal - but not out of the question either.
In any case, I'm looking forward to meeting you all!
I've also booked my carnival ticket. I can forward the information if you want.
You can send me an e-mail directly at garyineurope@hotmail.com or gary@berlinlerntenglisch.com
Only 1 month!!
G
garyineurope

Postby carbonwong » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi Travelfun,

I found a room in Santa Theresa on airbnb.com, but two of my Brazilian friends said Santa Theresa is not safe at night : ( What was your personal opinion of Santa Theresa? Thanks!

Thomas.
carbonwong

Postby TravelFun » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:26 pm

carbonwong wrote:Hi Travelfun,

I found a room in Santa Theresa on airbnb.com, but two of my Brazilian friends said Santa Theresa is not safe at night : ( What was your personal opinion of Santa Theresa? Thanks!

Thomas.

I went for 5 weeks for a volunteer project and the last week was carnival week. I stayed in the Gloria area and others stayed in Santa Theresa and the safety rules were the same...in fact, it's the same in all areas of Rio. Don't carry and wear any valuables, only carry enough money for the day, keep a credit card on you and keep everything in a simple bag (I know this one sounds strange but my Portuguese teacher told me this). Remember, you'll be there during carnival so there'll be lots of street parties in Santa Theresa and in other areas so everyone will be out at night. Taxis are cheap and easily available so use them as well as the metro system. We went out alot in Santa Theresa (both in the day and evening) and the cafes and restaurants are all nearby.

Exactly where will you be staying, as in the address/street?

TravelFun

Return to South America