Inca Discovery spending money

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Inca Discovery spending money

Postby newroamer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi guys,

Getting more and more excited about my PID trip next week!!!
Last thing is the amount of spending money. The trip details suggest around $160 for meals not included on the 8 day trip - this post suggests taking more though (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18730), so I think I will budget $200 in. I will however be going there 3 days earlier and staying in Lima and doing some extra sight seeing.

I was thinking around £700 (~$1120). Does this sound about right? I do plan on doing the Nazca Lines on a day trip from Lima which will cost $300.

So that leaves me with $620 for 2 days around Lima and any extra spending money for gifts etc. Would that suffice?

Also, regarding denominations... do I need to take some Soles with me too or will USD be fine? And I will try to get small as notes as possibly... but from an exchange beaureau its just pot luck I guess.

Thansk for reading!
newroamer
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Inca Discovery spending money

Postby sinecure » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Depends on what you want to pick up for souvenirs and where you want to eat. That certainly sounds like a healthy budget.

It sounds like you got your Nazca trip arranged?

There are plenty of ATM's in Lima that you can use to top up if you find you need more, or want to carry less.

Have a great trip!
sinecure

Postby newroamer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi sinecure... yep Nazca is all but booked. Bit of a long day... 3am start, returning at 11pm! But has to be done!!!

Yes I will be taking a couple of cards with me in case of emergency, got some good travel insurance too, which I hopefully won't need! :)

Thanks a lot for your help...again, sinecure!

edit: Also, what about USD or Soles and size of notes? Are Soles needed or only $100 worth or so?
newroamer

Postby IncaTrail50 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:32 pm

We used a lot of smaller note Soles for tips or small purchases so $100 would be good to start. As sinecure says, there are lots of ATMs around (outside Lima too) so if you need more you can get more along the way. Try to set aside the bills for tips for the end of the Inca Trail maybe. Our group combined our tips into three envelopes, Guides, Cooks, Porters. Some people only had big bills and it was hard to make change for everyone.
Enjoy!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer

Postby newroamer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:10 pm

Lovely, thanks very much IncaTrail50.

So I plan on taking around £60 of Sols (=260 PEN) and then £640 worth of dollars (=US$1,030).

I hope that sounds reasonable, if not please let me know!
newroamer

Postby IncaTrail50 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:47 pm

One little regret we had is that we didn't buy more from the Women's Weaving Co-op in the Sacred Valley. They made beautiful things and I wish I had bought more hats and mitts. I spent my time watching them weave and not enough time shopping in their stands! The hats my daughter and I bought years ago have been our go-to hats and they are wearing out.
We have even worn them at -40'C in Canada's arctic and they kept us warm! :shock:
Buy extra!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50

Postby newroamer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:23 am

I'll be sure to put some money aside for that! Thanks for the tip!
newroamer

Return to South America