Tips for trips to Peru :)

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Tips for trips to Peru :)

Postby karenbalbi » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:58 pm

I have just returned from a brilliant Peru on a shoestring…15 day trip, Lima finishing in Cusco (solo female traveller in my late 20’s). The group was a max of 16 and there were 10 of us. Mix of nationalities and ages, we all go on great and which really made the trip!

There are lots of posts on here about various things, I thought it may be of use to some for me to make a list of a few points which I wished I had known before I went…

Peru – is such an amazing place, just about everywhere left us saying WOW! Peruvians are really friendly as well! Highly recommend any of the trips to Peru, just wish I could go again! :)

Money – I took an STA cash card, credit card and USD/Peruvian Soles cash (which I ordered in the UK before I left). I didn’t find anywhere to use my credit card and the cash soon ran out, so I ended up having to ask people to put more money on my STA card, which was ok but I wish I had just taken my Nationwide Flexi account debit card and got money on that. The only reason I didn’t take a Debit was due to warnings from friends about security and the concern of what would happen if it got taken. The amount suggested for the trips, tips etc was not enough (take more USD than suggested; you can pay GAP directly in USD, no need to change it).

Adapters – I took multi adapter which didn’t last long, best to just use a sturdy US – UK flat pin adapter. All the plug points spark, so plug the adapter in and then your appliance, may save your chargers from the same fate as my phone charger.

Ccacaccollo home stay – we had so much fun at the home stay, the kids are great fun and want to play. If you have any room in your back pack-take the kid’s toys/balls/puzzles, there is no where to buy anything like that and they desperately need new things to play with. They had one football/volleyball between them; marbles/un-wanted puzzles/pens would be very much appreciated! I wish I had taken some!

Nazca lines flight – because of the crashes last year the government have got involved making it a lot safer but also more expensive! Our flight was $130, so a lot more than suggested. It’s a good thing to do although was a long wait for a 25 minute flight (fairly chaotic at the airport, wait time seemed to depend on who you paid). Standard camera’s don’t capture the lines, SLR needed. Every last pound of weight counts, so no bags allowed (they even weigh you to determine where you sit, tiny plane).

Colca Canyon – GO! It was probably the best trip I did, such an amazing place and a great chance to get used to altitude as you go through a pass at 4900m. trips go from Arequipa, we had 3 days there and used 2 to visit the canyon instead. Arequipa is nice but the canyon is better!

Safety/security – it goes without saying that there is lots of poverty in Peru, people will take there chances, if you leave your bag in a place where it can be taken, chances are it will disappear! Just keep your valuables split up, leave 50% at hotel and make it difficult for them. Having your bag taken is likely to really spoil the trip! Taxis are really cheap, so just use them, don’t risk walking on your own etc (girls especially).

Hygiene – take lots of hand sanitizer, tissues, and baby wipes… buy toilet paper when you get there. Mostly need these for the trek, but as trip was basic, 2-3* accommodation etc you may find that you need them other days. Watch what you eat, think twice about salad!

Have a great trip! hope info helps
:D
karenbalbi
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Tips for trips to Peru :)

Postby JaliscoJudy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:50 pm

Great info. Thanks for posting!
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Re: Tips for trips to Peru :)

Postby newroamer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:02 am

Thanks karenbalbi, that's really helpful.

I'm hoping to do the Nazca Lines trip too - did you book this locally or through GAdv when you arrived?
newroamer

Return to South America