First time travelling (2 months) help please

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

First time travelling (2 months) help please

Postby coconutx » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Hello,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice for travelling round south america. This is my trip plan (in order):

Early October leave from London
La Paz, Bolivia
Salt Flats, Bolivia
San Pedro de Atacama, Chile
Santiago, Chile
Mendoza, Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
[Go on gap adventures End of the Earth trip, comes back to buenos aires]
Rio de Janiero, Brazil
Iguaza falls, Brazil/Uruguay (I have to go back on myself I know)
Salvador, Brazil
Early December fly back to London

I cant change my trip much when I get to Brazil as I'm meeting a friend so I'm not too worried about that part. I was wondering if anyone can help me with the following:

1 ) Is the atacama desert actually worth visiting if I have already seen Bolivian salt flats?

2 ) Is it worth going to Lake Titicana?

3 ) Is it worth busing it, instead of flying, from San Pedro to Santiago (if I do go to San Pedro)?

4 ) Is it worth busing it, instead of flying, from La Paz to Santiago (if I do NOT go to San Pedro)?

5 ) Is it worth busing it, instead of flying, from Buenos Aires to Rio de Janiero?

6 ) I'm doing stuff like gravity bikes and the salt flat tours. Is there anything else good to do in Bolivia activity wise?

7 ) Any ideas for activities in Santiago and Buenos Aires?

8 ) I have absolutely know idea what size luggage to take. I figure because its 2 months I need a medium size suitcase with good wheels. Also I'm diabetic (type 1) so my medicals will take up a bit of room. What size luggage would you recommend for a 2 month south america trip?

9 ) I feel stupid taking loads of shoes especially being a guy, but I dont know what to leave out: Hiking shoes, Trainers, Sandals, Flip flops. Maybe just tough trainers will do instead of hiking boots?

10 ) Any no go areas in the cities I mentioned?

Thanks for any help.
coconutx
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: First time travelling (2 months) help please

Postby TravelFun » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:36 pm

Phew...there's a wealth of information here in the South America forum so do take some time to search around for details but here's some answers to your questions:

1 ) Totally worth it and you can't compare the two, one's all white and made of salt and the other is the driest desert!

2 ) Of course and the homestay option is an experience you'll remember for sure.

3 ) Yes, the bus system is really good and comfortable.

4 ) It'll be a long journey if you do not intend to stop at San Pedro, so take the flight but if you're crossing the salt flats (the 3-day trip) then you'll end up in San Pedro!

5 ) Too long a journey and only worth doing if you plan to break it up by going to Iguazu and some other towns on the coast of Brazil towards Rio.

6 ) The city itself is worth checking out and do search this forum for what other travellers have already recommended.

7 ) Plenty but again do search this forum for what other travellers have already recommended.

8 ) I take a 60L backpack with me and it's enough for me...pack light because you will have to be able to at least lift it to throw on top of buses or be able to carry it up the stairs (not many lifts).

9 ) One pair of walking shoes/boots for the treks, sandals and flip flops should do.

10 ) Use common sense and take the precautions you would back at home.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby coconutx » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:22 pm

Hey thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to take the Northface Base Camp Medium rucksack which has a 70L capacity. Or I'll see if I can find a similar cheaper version.

Was wondering if someone could help me with a few more things:

A) I'm looking to do some snowboarding in Chile. I havent snowboarded before, but I cant afford to do a 1-2 week course. If there is a 3/4 day cheaper course that would be ideal. Could anyone recommend a resort/operator. I've heard good things about valle nevado and el colorado. I've been looking but cant find a resort which operates in Mid-october. Is this completely outside the ski season for Chile? What about Argentina?

B) Any bus company recommendations for travelling chile (Atacama to Santiago).
coconutx

Postby eric » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi,

B) TUR BUS.

Kind Regards

Eric / London / England
eric
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer