Hepatitis B & Rabies vaccinations

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Hepatitis B & Rabies vaccinations

Postby native_dogg » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi,

I'm doing the Great South American Journey from Rio to Lima in October. I've got all of the necessary vaccinations lined up, except for Hep B & Rabies. As these are only recommended rather than mandatory, I'm wondering whether these are as necessary when you're doing a guided tour such as this one?

I've got a girlfriend at home so I'm not worried about sexually contracting Hep B, but I know it can also be transferred through blood. I can't imagine we will be travelling to many destinations with wild dogs, bats etc either where you might contract Rabies, should I be safe rather than sorry though?

The main reason I'm unsure is because of the expense of the two jabs, especially when coupled with the expense of the tour itself. However, obviously if I am at high risk I would cough up and get the jabs done, but if it is little to no risk then I may not bother.

Also, does anyone know whether I should take anti-malariels for this particular tour? I phoned Gap Adventures who said that they couldn't give medical advice but the nurse at my local surgery and I looked & as far as we could see the places covered on the tour aren't the parts of those countries where malaria is a problem. It would be great to hear from someone who has done the tour though, or something similar for re-assurance :)

Any info you could give me would be great.

Thanks.
native_dogg
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Hepatitis B & Rabies vaccinations

Postby whitecat » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:48 am

If you look at my previous question regarding rabies vaccinations there have been 2 reponses stating they did not think it is required for travel in South America provided you're careful and stay away from aninmals but that ultimately it is a personal choice. (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18371) Regarding Hep. B I believe it can be transmitted also through saliva/bodily fluids and although I doubt you'll be kissing people (as you have your girlfriend) -working previously as a bartender I heard roumours it can be contracted by picking up glasses from the rim if you have a cut on your hand- I really have no idea of the truth behind this as I haven't done any research into it -I don't know how easily contractable it is. My partner was recommended it for our trip (I've already been immunised as it is essential for working in UK hospitals) but again ultimately it's your choice.
whitecat

Postby native_dogg » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi whitecat,

Yeah I saw you posted something similar, sorry for the crossover. I decided to go with them in the end, had my second dose this morning and go back for the final one in a couple of weeks. Not impressed with the 250 quid expense but better safe than sorry I guess. Just need to decide whether anti-malarials are necessary now, I don't think I need them for where my tour goes but again I'm wondering whether I should, just in case. Have you bothered?
native_dogg

Postby scottyw » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:23 pm

I am doing the Rio to Buenos Aires In Search of Iguassu trip in November and I have chosen not to have a Rabies jab, however I am surprised you havent had the Hep B jab. I am currently on my 2nd course of 3 Hep A/B jabs (they come together in one shot). Im also having Yellow Fever and MMR done next week. I am also going to be taking Malarone for the Malerial areas as per the nurses advice. Hope that helps
scottyw

Return to South America