Rabies vaccination

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Rabies vaccination

Postby whitecat » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:31 pm

Did anyone opt for a course of rabies vaccinations before travelling to Brazil/Bolivia/Peru? Nurses at the travel clinics I have been to have given mixed messages and I am now undecided which route to go down- its £150++ for the course and takes a minimum of 3 weeks-then if I get bitten by a rabid animal will still need immediate medical attention but only 2 further vaccinations over 3 days. Where as with out the course may need immunoglobulins which may not be stocked locally or may only be from horses in addition to the full 5 vaccination course over one month.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated- but I have less than 2 weeks to start the rabies course if I am to go down that route.
whitecat
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Rabies vaccination

Postby sinecure » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:11 pm

If you are staying on a GAP trip and not venturing out on your own, and you mind your self around animals you probably don't need the vaccinations.

But in the end the decision is yours to weigh the risks.

Travel Safe.
sinecure

Re: Rabies vaccination

Postby Zuleika » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:43 pm

Its highly unlikely you will come into contact with a rabid animal, so personally I wouldnt (and didnt) bother. But as Sinecure says - the choice is yours.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to South America