Passport Expiry Question for Peru

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Passport Expiry Question for Peru

Postby DarrenInCanada » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:19 pm

Hi everybody,

I hope this is the right place to post this. I'm planning on going to Peru in November to do the Inca Discovery. We are all set to book our trip but were told by the GAP agent that while my passport is still valid (expires May 25 2012), it is very close to the 6 month restriction imposed by the Peruvian Immigration (Hoping to do the Nov 3 - Nov 11 trip).

"A valid Canadian passport is required for Canadians intending to visit Peru. The passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the date of your expected departure from the country."

Has anybody had any issues entering Peru with a similar situation? I don't have any issues getting a new passport BUT it will obviously affect when I do my trip and most likely will push back my trip into the rainy season.

Thanks!!
DarrenInCanada
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Passport Expiry Question for Peru

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:50 pm

I can't comment on the 6 month ruling but getting a new passport shouldn't affect when you do the trip. I suppose it depends on where you live but the express/online version of the passport application usually means you can get a new one in a week or so, particularly if you already have a current one. Theoretically you should be able to apply, get the new passport in a week, and then book the trip. I think it costs a bit more.
In any case the dates you give are 6 1/2 months. We've used ours for other countries with the 6 month rule when we had 6 months and 2 days left on our passports and there wasn't a problem. :D

Good luck, we did that trip to celebrate our 50th birthdays and it was AWESOME!
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer

Postby DarrenInCanada » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:03 am

Thanks for responding Kim.

I believe our trip booking is on hold for us until Friday. If I got a new passport, it will take about 10 days before I would receive it, by then the trip will most likely be full and we'd have to book one of the the trips later on in the month.

I was hoping that I could use my current passport to book my trip and then between now and before we leave, obtain a new passport BUT then all our travel documents including the hike permit will have the old info and that apparently is a big no-no.

I'm most likely going to do this trip with the passport that I have, its just a matter of finding the cheapest flight there.

By the way, what did you think of Lima and Cuzco? Which did you like better?
DarrenInCanada

Postby IncaTrail50 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:55 pm

DarrenInCanada wrote:its just a matter of finding the cheapest flight there.

By the way, what did you think of Lima and Cuzco? Which did you like better?

Not sure where you are in Canada, we found TACA Airlines the cheapest and flew from Toronto.

We liked Cuzco better than Lima. Depends on what you're after but we didn't find a whole lot of interesting things to see in Lima other than the downtown, where we arranged a day tour to see some of the museums. There's an interesting park on the cliffs overlooking the water, but it was so overcast we couldn't really see the water! We got in late to Lima and missed the group meeting, leaving really early for Cuzco the next morning. Because of that we had arranged an additional day in Lima when we finished the Inca Trail, thinking we'd see what we wanted to see in Cuzco the day we arrived there. That arrival day in Cuzco was our only day there so we joined an afternoon tour but I was feeling the altitude later in the day and the last couple of hours were a wash for me. We didn't have time to see what we wanted to see there, and didn't find enough to fill our time in Lima, so it didn't work as well as we'd hoped. Cuzco seemed to be a neat little town with lots of little places to eat and wander into so we were disappointed we didn't have more time there. Just my opinion, others may differ!
Overall it was a great trip! :D
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50

Postby Janice08 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:04 pm

When I started planning my trip I had the same problem with passport expiry dates (we ended up changing our trip dates so it didn't end up being an issue and we leave in one week!). I also emailed the Peruvian Embassy in Canada and was told that all I needed to have was a valid passport - no time frame to expiry.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby jocewise » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:41 pm

I'm Canadian and aware of this 6 month thing. My passport expires exactly 6 months from our last day in Peru. I was concerned about what might happen if we were delayed or something. I went to the Peruvian embassy (darn -- now you know where I live :o ) and they were TOTALLY unconcerned. I mean she didn't even put down the phone! She just said something about how we have proof of our intention to return in that our flight documents show the date intended. So -- I'm good to go!
jocewise
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Jackc » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:38 pm

Hello DarreninCanada,

I do not know about Peru, but if you have to connect via the USA, you must have a passport that does not expire within 6 months of entry into, or connecting via USA.

Jack
Jackc
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to South America