Questions about Land Galapagos SEGL

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Questions about Land Galapagos SEGL

Postby holliejade » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:31 am

Hi,

I have already asked this in Pre Trip Q & As as I thought there might be some experts or GAP representatives there. But as there are no answers after a week, I will post my original question here as well.

I am booked on the tour Land Galapagos in late September and have a couple of questions.
As it is predominantly a land based tour, when we are on the boat- for travelling between islands, snorkelling etc- what are the facilities like. Is there somewhere to get changed into and out of swimsuits on board?
Are there wetsuits provided or that we can rent if we find the water too cool? I don't think it will be, but just in case.
Also in the trip notes GAP recommend a 'good size' daypack as being essential. What size is a 'good size'. I am taking a quite small backpack to use as my daypack which I have used before. I can easily fit a cardigan, water, sunscreen, hat etc in it and more. What do I really need to fit in there?
I've just looked it up online and apparently my backpack is 15L.
Here it is. http://www.caribee.com/product.php?prd=30&alt=2

Thanks,
Hollie
holliejade
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Questions about Land Galapagos SEGL

Postby ballu » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:13 am

I haven't done this tour but...but for the daypack, pretty much everything you listed there. Basically anything you'll need while out touring as your main luggage will be back at the hotel.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby holliejade » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:04 pm

Thank you ballu.

Now if someone can help out with information about wetsuits, and whether there is somewhere to get changed on board or if I will be wearing my bathers for the whole day, it would be much appreciated.
holliejade

Postby klm500 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:39 am

I don't think you'll need a wetsuit - I found the water warm enough...but if you do need one I think you can rent one from GAP. Not sure about facilities on board I'm afraid as I did a boat-based Galapagos tour.
klm500
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby katyd » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:25 pm

holliejade wrote:Are there wetsuits provided or that we can rent if we find the water too cool? I don't think it will be, but just in case.

I was in Galapagos in October last year. I found the water to be very cold and a wetsuit to be a very nice thing to have. I used one that was elbow/knee length and it wouked out quite well. It seems strange that the water would cold given the location on the globe, but there are some very cold currents the come by.
The Galapagos islands are such an amazing place and you don't want the fact that you were too cold to contunue snorkeling be the reason you get out of the water. I did not travel there with GAP so I can not speak for what they will provide, but based on my experiences with GAP I would imagine GAP is able to rent them to you. If not, you can very easily rent them on any of the islands for $5-$10 USD per day.

Happy Traveling,
Katy
katyd
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby holliejade » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:13 am

Thank you both for your help.
I guess everyone is different when it comes to opinions on temperature.
I'm glad to know that GAP should have wetsuits available to rent if needed.
We won't really know what the weather is like until closer to time.
But I'm leaving for Peru in 2 and a (little) bit weeks, so I just wanted to sort out all the niggly queries beforehand.
holliejade

Return to South America