Iguazu

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Iguazu

Postby whitling2k » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:27 pm

Hey there

Has anyone got any good advice or suggestions on visiting Iguazu Falls whilst travelling from Buenos Aires to Rio?

I am thinking of Bus from BA to Puerto Iguazu (http://www.omnilineas.com), then making my way to Foz do Iguacu - walk/bus or taxi!

From there Bussing/flying to Rio.

Thanks

Whitling2k
whitling2k
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Iguazu

Postby simsn » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:30 am

Hey there,

are you doing this trip on your own?
My trip also starts in Buenos Aires and ends in Rio.
I booked it with gap... everything is well-organized and pretty cheap!

Simsn
simsn
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby whitling2k » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:33 pm

Hey Simsn,

No we are not going with GAP for this part - we've got 9 weeks and half of it's with GAP and half' is independent with my girlfriend.

I was really tempted with some of the GAP tours but the dates were not quite right for our schedule!

I'm trying to decide the best way to book flights to/from for Iguazo to Rio.

Whitling2k
whitling2k

Postby TravelFun » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi there,

Buses are good from Buenos Aires to Iguazu. Take a bus or taxi to cross the borders and make sure you have the necessary visas (if required) before you travel. If by bus then you will need to the let the driver know and he will drop you off at the check-point and you use the same bus ticket to catch the next bus to get to the Brazilian side:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13531&hilit=falls+bus

The bus from the falls to Rio takes around 24hrs...you could break it up by visiting some of the coastal towns if you have time en route to Rio. If time is limited then take the flight else the buses for long-distance travel is just as good as in Argentina.

Hope this helps.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Re: Iguazu & yellowfever

Postby joe_colonia » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi Iguazu-travellers,

any recommendations concerning vaccination against yellowfever at around Iguazu?
Should everybody visiting this area have been vaccinated? As far as I know the Lonely Planet suggests to do so ...

Cheers,
Joe
joe_colonia

Postby steph1017 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:39 am

hi Simsn,
what trip are you doing with GAp? im doing one from BA to rio called in search of igassu from nov 19th?
steph
steph1017

Postby vickimf » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi,

I definitely suggest that when you get the bus from BA to Iguazu you go with Cucero del Norte, and book the luxury seat. As it isn't that much more expensive and you get amazing food, about 3 decent movies, blankets, champagne and really comfy seats. I didn't want to get off!
vickimf

Postby whitling2k » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:49 am

That's some really good advice. Thanks

I'l look into the luxery seats with Cucero del Norte, as you say the price difference is pretty low for such a long time on a bus!

In case anyone wants to know what we decided, we have booked a flight from the Brazilian side to Rio as we're getting near to end of our travels and did not want to miss out on time in Rio.

I'm planning on a total of 4 nights at Iguazu - day 1 to arrive in the argentinean side, 2 to visit the falls, 3 split between seeing the town, the animal sanctuary, getting to the brazilian side and settling down, 4 seeing the falls on the Brazilian side and an early morning flight on the 5th day

There looked to be two flights to Rio - one departing in the morning and arriving 11am - and the other departing in the evening but arriving at 21:40 - and I didn't fancy arriving in Rio late at night and tired!

Be careful when booking flights to / from Iguazu to make sure you get the right airport - there's one in Argentina and one in Brasil and I think Google maps has the same name for them both!

Whitling2k
whitling2k

Postby shawroden » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:15 am

When you book your flights, book two internal flights - so fly rio to Brazil side of the falls, then argentina side of the falls to BA as its lots cheaper. Be aware that travel agents don't always spot this and book one journey with a single airline in and out of the same side of the falls so you have to mention it to them. Cross the border by land. There's a bus plus taxi's are not expensive if there are a few of you.
shawroden

Postby towanda » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Thank you guys for all the great advice! There is a lot of very helpful information here which should really make my trip a lot less stressful. If I may, I would like to offer one more piece of advice. This comes from experience, since on my last trip, I had a rather unfortunate accident, from which I'm still suffering the repercussions simply because I was not prepared. When embarking on such a trip far away from home, it may be a good idea to buy temporary health insurance. This way if you find yourself in need of medical care while you are away from home, you can avoid all of the complications such as those that I had faced, and also avoid the seemingly infinite stack of medical bills from accumulating as a result.
Last edited by towanda on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
towanda

Postby footstepper » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:19 pm

shawroden wrote:When you book your flights, book two internal flights - so fly rio to Brazil side of the falls, then argentina side of the falls to BA as its lots cheaper. Be aware that travel agents don't always spot this and book one journey with a single airline in and out of the same side of the falls so you have to mention it to them. Cross the border by land. There's a bus plus taxi's are not expensive if there are a few of you.

Exactly what I did and exactly what I would do if I ever was lucky enough to get another chance. It was an incredible experience aided by lucky planning. We are going to try and find a similar experience this upcoming summer in Utah. I heard that the wilderness there is out of control. We shall see how it goes.
footstepper

Return to South America