Sleeping Bags Inca Trail

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Sleeping Bags Inca Trail

Postby graybeard » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:29 pm

You can rent a good quality, thick thermarest-style mattress in Cusco along with the sleeping bag and hiking poles. The thermarest can be lashed to the supplied bag without problem if need be. Weight is not an issue with these items. Remember: bring LIGHTWEIGHT camp shoes/slippers so you can get out of the hiking boots when in camp.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby magenta » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks both. I'm not really interested in renting a thermarest if I could just bring my own, but I'm more worried about there actually being space in the bag for it. It's very small and compact and only weighs about 800g, and my sleeping bag is a good quality down-filled one which weighs much less than a synthetic one and compresses down much smaller. So I think I would be OK weight-wise. I'd sacrifice a few extra items of clothing to bring my mattress since it provides so much extra warmth at night anyway!
magenta
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby mleen » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:03 pm

I rented all the material for the trail. I was glad I didn"t had to bring them with me and take them around for the rest of the trip. The material you hire with G has a very good quality! I hired sleeping bag, matress and walking poles.
mleen
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby lalady » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi! I know this is an old post...

I'll be doing the Lares trek and wondered if I should let G Adventures know that I want to rent a sleeping bag ahead of time or let the guide know once I arrive in Cusco. I'm also quite tall so that might make things more difficult for them...

Should I try renting elsewhere?
lalady

Postby kcupp95 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:57 am

lalady wrote:Hi! I know this is an old post...

I'll be doing the Lares trek and wondered if I should let G Adventures know that I want to rent a sleeping bag ahead of time or let the guide know once I arrive in Cusco. I'm also quite tall so that might make things more difficult for them...

Should I try renting elsewhere?

I'm pretty sure they expect that the majority of travellers will be renting sleeping bags
kcupp95
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby graybeard » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:30 pm

Once my group was in Cuzco, our CEO (I still find that GAP term annoying) took orders for the rental equipment. That included requests for extra long and/or extra warm bags. I'm a bit on the taller side and usually need a "long" rather than a "regular" bag. No problem. Got a good, warm, clean one without problem.
graybeard

Previous

Return to South America