Sleeping Bags Inca Trail

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Sleeping Bags Inca Trail

Postby srayner » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:37 pm

Hello.

I have been told that the porters will be carying a duffle bag for us up the inca trail so long as the weight is appropriate (i can only imagine how strong these guys are..wow!). We were thinking of bringing our own sleeping bags and i assume they too will need to fit into the duffle bag if we dont want to carry them ourselves. Does anyone know how large the duffle bag is? One of our sleeping bags is fairly light but does not compress very well.

Any insite would be great.

Thanks Everyone!

Leaving on Friday!!! Woot woot!
srayner
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Sleeping Bags Inca Trail

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:05 am

It's large enough for a sleeping bag plus your extra clothes. Weight is an issue, the bag can only weigh 6kg, and it is weighed before you leave Cuzco. We rented sleeping bags in Peru and they didn't compress at all but we still had lots of room. Yes, the porters are amazing, they each carry 4 of these 6kg duffle bags! :o Some of them are barefoot, some have bad sandals made from old tires, yet they blow past you on the trail even though you'll be wearing the best ergonomic hiking boots known to man! :lol: Save money for their tip!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer

Postby envirochick72 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Hello,

I just got back from a trip with GAP last week and I did the Inca Trail.

My first question would be how warm are your sleeping bags, as some nights dipped below zero. My second question would be what is the weight of your bag?

If you are renting a sleeping bag and air matress ( amazing to have), then I you are allowed another 3kilo's (~6lbs) this includes their duffle bag which is a good size - I would guess around 55-70L duffle bag. We had light bags as well and decided not to bring them so that we could only travel with what we needed in order to be able to have the option of bringing things home.

I highly recommend treking poles to be rented on the trail, we had two and they are a life saver if altitude impacts you, for the thousands of steps down and up that you take as well they carry you if you get sick like two of the members of our group.

If you would like more info please let me know :)
envirochick72
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby srayner » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:44 am

Thanks everyone for the info! very helpful!!!!

Last questions, would you suggest renting 1 or 2 poles? how much did it cost to rent the air mattress/pad?

Thanks again for your help!

Steph
srayner

Postby IncaTrail50 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:58 am

Not sure about the cost to rent the mattress, I hiked the trail a few years ago, but it was worth every penny! In our group half had two poles and half had one. Personally I thought one was enough because I had my camera in my other hand! I also liked the rented collapsible poles rather than the bamboo ones people were buying. I don't know if they still sell them even, they were discouraging their sale when I was there. In any case, we didn't need the poles for the whole hike and it was nice to collapse them and hang them off our daypack when not in use.
Have fun, it was awesome!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50

Postby envirochick72 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:16 am

I would suggest two collaspible polls you can always put one in your daypack, but most people used two or wanted two. Stay away from the bamboo walking sticks. Polls were $10 each for the trip, so $20 for the 4 days per person and the mat was $6 or $8 (can't remember) and its worth it. In total we were $38 each for rentals ( sleeping bag, 2 poles and a mat) and all prices were USD.
envirochick72

Postby susan* » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:58 am

Hey everyone,

Good advice here - I'm doing the trek in just over a month, and wanted to ask recent opinions of whether you found the rental bags adequate. I know there is discussion in some of the older threads, but most of that advice dates back to 2008. If you've done the trek in the last year or so, would you say the rental bags kept you warm enough? Thanks!
susan*

Postby envirochick72 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:39 pm

I was worried about this at first too, but the bags were advised to be rated for 0 degrees. However the GAP bags were rated for -4 to -10 degrees - very warm, however you should be aware of your height to know if you should arrange for a 'tall' bag. You should also bring your own liner as they are you body dirt (not that the bags were dirty). We had fleece (MEC) ones and they were great, but a little heavy. We still slept in their bags, with our fleece liners and merino wool longjohns... we were perfect. The third night we were warm, but that just means we slept in our liner and in the middle of the night climbed in the bag because we were cold.

Hope this helps!

FYI - this is recent info as I was there last week :)
envirochick72

Postby susan* » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:53 pm

that's perfect, thanks! i think i will be fine just renting. i expect the quality of the bags to be warm enough, and think they should be *relatively* clean. i was going to take longjohns and a liner anyway, and since i'm pretty short, i won't have any issues there :) thanks again.
susan*

Postby markmol » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:57 am

i used 2 walking poles & on day 3 it was raining as we went down the steps it was quite slippery & the poles were very handy
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby RichieRich » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:54 am

I rented a pole and the sleeping bag. I was glad I didn't have to carry these around for the entire trip. For the record I enjoyed the Inca Trail more than Macchu Picchu itself and was kind of sad when it ended.
RichieRich
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby lrohrbaugh » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:31 am

Hi there,

I am doing the Peru Panorama in September and going on the Lares Trek. I am reading that you can rent sleeping bags, mattresses, poles when you are down there. I would prefer to do that rather than taking mine on the plane (one less thing to carry). Did you have to make arrangements before going to rent this equipment or did you just arrange it when you where down there?

Getting very excited!
lrohrbaugh
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby sinecure » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:01 pm

You can arrange it with your guide when you arrive.
sinecure

Postby magenta » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:59 pm

Hello,

On a similar note, does the duffel bag have room for a thermarest-style sleeping pad as well as the bag? I saw someone earlier say that it has enough room for a sleeping bag and your extra clothes. I would really like to bring my sleeping pad since it's really comfortable, but don't want to take it all the way there if I won't have space for it!

I've trawled the various threads on sleeping bags etc in this forum but I can't find the answer to this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Alex
magenta

Postby sinecure » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:40 pm

It should fit depending on the length, but weight will be your biggest enemy when packing the duffel bag. The bags are strictly weighed.
sinecure

Next

Return to South America