La Selva Lodge or Cloud Forest?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

La Selva Lodge or Cloud Forest?

Postby fyom01 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:52 pm

Hi guys,

I'm planning a trip to the Galapagos and I have time for 1 add on. I'm trying to decide between La Selva or Cloud Forest and was hoping to get some feedback on these two to figure out which one I would like more. Also if you have any suggestions for things to do in Quito, I'd appreciate that as well :)

Thanks!
fyom01
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: La Selva Lodge or Cloud Forest?

Postby JaliscoJudy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Hard choice.

I loved both experiences, but I'd say that Amazonia was surprising in more ways. Both locations have amazing birds, which are a passion for me, but it's hard to compete with Amazonia's black lagoons full of caimans and piranhas, electric eels, pygmy marmosets, crested owls, jaguarundi (!), a Christmas tree frog, squirrel monkeys throwing things at us from the canopy, toucans. Lots of hummingbirds in the cloud forest and giant worms that come out after a rain. Both locations have amazing plants too.

I don't think you can go wrong with either!
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby fyom01 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:32 am

Which do you think has more water activity? I'm not a big birdwatcher but I love water. I enjoy fishing, swimming, canoeing ;) I would love to see the rainforest as I've never been.
fyom01

Postby JaliscoJudy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:17 am

Either location can provide lots of water -- from the sky! Cloud forest rivers are fast and clear, rainforest rivers are slow and wide and silt laden. In the rainforest, we took dugout canoes out at night in the lagoon looking with flashlights for caimans and during the day up the narrow channels looking for birds and wildlife. (Some people (not me) did swim in the black lagoon during the day -- they said that the piranhas wouldn't bother you unless you had an open wound.) Cloud forests are in the mountains (cooler), rainforests are in the lowlands (hotter), if that helps.

Even if you're not a bird watcher now, I'll wager that you'll be enchanted by them after either trip. Let me know when you return.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby fyom01 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:03 pm

This is great information. Thanks!
fyom01

Return to South America