Buenos Aires - Optional Activities

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Buenos Aires - Optional Activities

Postby carlito25 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:30 pm

Does anyone have any advice or comments on the below optional activities offered in BA?

Buenos Aires:
Tango Show 270 ARS
Tigre tour 175 ARS
Fiesta Gaucha 175 ARS
Coast train $10
Teatro Colón $5
City tour $12-15

Thanks all!
“A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” – John Steinbeck
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Buenos Aires - Optional Activities

Postby TravelFun » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi there, you going on any particular tour? Would help to know what's included and what's not so could add more options.

As for optional activities from your list then I would recommend the following:
Tango Show is a must - I've been to La Ventana and my sister went to Esquina Carlos Gardel and both were great.
Teatro Colon is worth visiting for it's grandeur
City Tour - I would say do it yourself. Buenos Aires is a walkable city with most sites within walking distance and others are easy to get to via the metro system.

Don't know/haven't done the others...do have a bit more detail on these ones?

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby carlito25 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:33 am

TravelFun,

Thank you for your good advice and tips. The Gap trip is: In Search of Iguassu
http://www.gapadventures.com/trips/in-search-of-iguassu-buenos-aires-to-rio-de-janeiro/JBR/2011/

Unfortunately, I don't know of any more info about the optional activities, as that was all that was listed under Trip Details. Is there a section on the website, where I find additional descriptions?

Cheers and Thank You,

Carl
“A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” – John Steinbeck
User Rank: Traveller

Postby TravelFun » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi Carl,

All the info is in the trip details and nothing more on the optional activities except for the list itself. Just check with your tour leader on day 1 and then make the call on what sounds intersting to you.

It seems day 1 & 2 are free-time and I would recommend going to see the area La Boca (in the daytime and don't wander off) and the Recoleta Cemetery. The cemetery architecture of the tombstones is pretty unique and the size is crazy that you could easily spend a few hours here, OK I could and did :P The tomb of Evita is probably the most famous site within the cemetery where people still lay flowers when they visit.

Ah, if you're there during the football season then you must get yourself to a match...even if it's just to experience the event and the passion of it's supporters.

...and all this plus a Tango show, tour of the Teatro Colon and walking around the city taking in the city's love of food, drink, football and tango!

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:52 pm

I did the Recoleta Cemetery just because it was on the list of things to do. I didn't think I'd get a lot from it and I didn't but it was near other things I wanted to see and I can say I did it. :roll:

As far as the tango shows, I'm not sure which one their tour is for but I went to Tango Portena and it was superb.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby lukeo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Polo day is a must if you squeeze in a day.

Try checking out a local millonga if you want an authentic experience as the big ones are more of a broadway show. La catedral is a good place although pretty rough looking.
lukeo
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby careau » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:25 am

Hi, I spent 11 days in Buenos Aires in 2009.

Tigre is overated. Worthwhile only for those with ample time like I had. Remember thinking I would have regretted going if I had only had a few days in the city. I took the bus and local boats & stopped for a hike. Maybe if you go with a "tourist" group you may get more/less from it. There certainly are many large boats there for tourists, I just didn't see the appeal. But then again, I've seen canals in the Netherlands and the Louisina Bayou so maybe I was expecting too much? Anyway, if I could turn back time, I would not go back!

I went to a Tango Show and was very impressed. I went to La Ventana and the meal was pretty good too. I was not with GAdentures for that trip but did end up sharing a table with G travellers so that is likeky where they will send you. Well worth it.

The gaucho thing is likely an asado barbecue at a ranch with some horse/cultural show. It was alright but only if you like meat and have ample time in the city.

My highlights were learning to make Empanadas with Teresita and the weekend market in San Telmo. There is also a museum in San Telmo offering tours of some underground tunnels that really provide wonderful insight into the history of the city. But make sure you get the tour, going through that place unguided wouldn't be that impressive. Some restauranteur discovered this gem while renovating the place to open a restaurant but turned it to a museum instead. (although I think it's used for private functions too)

Have a good trip!
careau
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to South America