Peru - Extra Excursions

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Peru - Extra Excursions

Postby srayner » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:27 pm

Hello.

My husband and I are going to Peru in July (Peru Panorama) and are trying to determine how much cash we need to bring. In doing this, we are trying to estimate how much we are going to spend on extra excursions. We went to Costa Rica a couple years back with GAP as well and ended up taking part in almost every additional excusrion offered. There were just too many great options!!! we loved them all!

Anyways, back to this trip, we were hoping that some one might have a list of some of the additional excersions offered while in Peru and possiably how much they each cost.

Thanks again for everyones help!

p.S. i know that the trip details outlines some of the additional options, but we found with Costa Rica, there were so many more exciting options once we got there. Thanks :)
Steph
srayner
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Peru - Extra Excursions

Postby carlito25 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:02 pm

I went to Peru in September of last year, but took a different trip - Peru on a Shoestring... but I'll give you some info on the shared destinations.

Lima: I stayed in Barranco and arranged a city tour through our hostel (it was the joining hotel for Gap). Not sure if it's the same as the Lima City Tour shown in your Trip details, but it was about 3 hours too and around the same price. I had a driver and a guide and the guide was excellent. We saw and walked around many of the famous sites in Lima and he provided me with a lot of great information.

I see there is an excursion out to Nazca for $300. For me, it was a stop, so the flight over the Nazca lines was around $75 and lasted about 20-30 minutes. If you have serious interest in the Nazca lines, then it may be worth it, but from Lima it's a long ride out and back...

City of Contrasts....if you can see the shanty towns safely for $25, then I'd do it. This wasn't offered when I went, but we drove past them. It's quite a humbling experience to say the least.

Cuzco: I didn't do the city tour, but rather, saw it on my own with others from our group. Unlike Lima, most of what you want to see in Cuzco will be pretty centralized. However, for $15-20... maybe, it's not a bad call.

Inka Museum: Cheap and fairly interesting. Give it a go. Although, don't expect a lot of English translations for the artifacts on display.

One thing I don't see mentioned that was an optional activity for me in Cuzco, was paragliding over the Sacred Valley. I believe it was $75 and a lot of fun. Expect a flight time of 10-30 minutes. All depends on the wind.

Hope this helps! Have fun and Qampaq kachun! (Good luck in Quechua)
“A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” – John Steinbeck
User Rank: Traveller

Postby envirochick72 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:35 pm

Just coming back last week from Peru, I would say bring at least $200 extra.

We brought $600 with us cash and this was to be for tipping on excursions ( much more then costa rica, as we went last year), water, food/snacks, purchases of goods, taxi's, etc... we fair tippers when it comes to things and we don't like to be cheap-o's, but even the amount we ended up spending was a little crazy. We did the inca trail (tip expected), gap guide (tip), daily tours (tips) and it all added up to alomost $300. Leaving us $300 left. We ended up having to take an additional $200 USD and S/. 200 ($200 soles (~$75 USD).

IF you need anything else please ask :)
envirochick72
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby millerkj » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:43 am

We're headed to Peru next week and have been wondering about cash. Specifically, did you do all this tipping and paying for things with American cash? It's hard to tell if some things just list prices in dollars for comparisons or if you really pay with dollars. Obviously makes a difference in whether we bring more cash or just take money out of the ATMs. We've been told there are plenty of places to do that - did you find that to be the case?

Thanks!
millerkj
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby kmcneil » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:15 am

$300 on tips?! :shock: on a two week trip?!

We're off on friday on a three week tour and wondering what how much cash to take.
kmcneil

Postby envirochick72 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:46 am

Hello,

Well the ATMs are there and we had to use it once, but you are charged for that so we only did it once and made sure it was enough for the remainder of the trip.

s/ 2.75 = $1 USD

The tipping was a lot, a lot more than we had to in Costa Rica last year with GAP. But the suggested tipping amount is advised to you by your trip leader/CEO, ours suggested S/12-15 (soles) per person for the drivers and the other guides - for the comfort style trip. My best friend was on a standard style trip at the same time and was told S/5 (soles). I am not sure if it was assumed that since we picked comfort we could afford more or not - its a preference for sleeping only. However when there are two of you ( husand and myself) it tends to add up, so that is how it got to that $300 marker.

At a minimum take $600 USD (easy to change into soles at certified exchange place) when you arrive at the airport in Lima (even at 1:30am) the exchange place is open and it is good to change at least $100 USD there - though the exchange rate is ~ s/ 2.68 = $1 USD.

A lot of the restaurants will have soles and USD prices but its VERY IMPORTANT to note that if your bills are not perfect your USD is CRISP and UNRIPPED/FOLDED, than you can use it. But it's best to change your money to soles ( at least half of it) in order to not have this problem.

If you have the soles than you have nothing to worry about and a lot of the restaurants take visa, so when ever possible for meals we paid with credit.

if you need more info PM me :)
envirochick72

Return to South America