Cuy -- Has anyone had cuy?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Cuy -- Has anyone had cuy?

Postby nowbyword » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:03 am

Hello everyone. I am joining a Gap tour to Peru soon, and I am wondering if anyone of you had tried roasted cuy. That's guinea pig. I'm pretty adventurous and would like to try it, but right now I don't know how I really feel about it. Anyone care to share their experience or thoughts? :D

Thanks,
Victor
nowbyword
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Cuy -- Has anyone had cuy?

Postby zebracruiser » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:07 am

Had it twice in Peru. First time was in a restaurant and it was horrible. Apparently they put some type of herb in it to aid in digestion. We had it again at a home hosted dinner and our guide asked them to leave out the herb. It was better, but not my cup of tea! It was presented whole with an apple in it's mouth. But I know some people enjoy it...
zebracruiser
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby TravelFun » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:13 am

I couldn't get myself to eat it but others in the group did...they thought it was OK, not much meat but at least they tried it.

Oh, do try the pisco sours too and my favourite was the ceviche (when fresh it's great) :wink:
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby graybeard » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:50 am

Yes! I was lucky enough to be in Cusco during a Corpus Christi festival in 2009. During that there was an entire park filled with family venders, nearly all selling "cocina típica" (not sure if I spelled that correctly). One of the dishes was indeed Cuy.

And, yes, I had some. Dark meat, full flavor, somewhat stringy and very little meat per critter. I have some pics - links belows.

https://picasaweb.google.com/nsaber60/P ... 1971278898
https://picasaweb.google.com/nsaber60/P ... 0500642642
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby JaliscoJudy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:06 am

I've had them a few times, never by choice. When people really like you here, they cook you a cuy. Here's what it looks like on your plate. :o The little ears are almost burned off, the face is frozen in a silent scream.
Attachments
cuy.jpg
cuy.jpg (50.51 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
JaliscoJudy

Postby collywobbles » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:59 pm

:?
Hiya
yeah i tried the cuy when i was in peru in puno
myself and 3 others decided we would share the experience so it came out on the plate warts and all and head on him omg we asked the waiter if he wud be kind enought to take it away and take off his head but he said no all part of the experience so close ur eyes and try it its ugly to look at but it tasted ok wud not be on my favourite foods list the pisc sours went down a treat after the taste also try the corn beer it vile the strawberry flavour was about passable haha
:mrgreen:
collywobbles

Postby Zuleika » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:14 pm

I didnt try but two of our group did and said it was greasy and fatty and not that nice. Also we saw out the back where they were kept and they looked JUST like our pet guinea pigs that we have at home. Your choice of course but I would never.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Zuleika wrote:Also we saw out the back where they were kept and they looked JUST like our pet guinea pigs that we have at home. Your choice of course but I would never.

Of course they looked just like your pet guinea pig, that's what cuy means! I always think that I would never try spider in Vietnam but I totally LOVE crab! What really is the difference? I prefer to try things before someone tells me what they are. Since I am at the top of the food chain I feel that I must blind myself to how cute my food is. Sorry but that's my position. I still have my carnivorous teeth, therefore I can not be a vegetarian. And DARNIT meat is tops!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby TravelFun » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:30 pm

IncaTrail50 wrote: Since I am at the top of the food chain I feel that I must blind myself to how cute my food is. Sorry but that's my position. I still have my carnivorous teeth, therefore I can not be a vegetarian. And DARNIT meat is tops!

Love it :lol: :lol: I don't find guinea pigs cute but a flat out grilled guniea pig just doesn't look appetising to me...IMHO :wink:

p.s. no need to be sorry !
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!

TravelFun

Postby srayner » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:56 pm

So im going to try to be open to this and at least try it. But im worried. if i dont like it, will the locals be offended? Will they sereve this at a home stay in Puno? How disrespectful will it be if i dont eat it? ekk.
srayner
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby jimshu » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:12 pm

The ' disrespect' thing goes two ways remember.
Why eat something you don't wish to eat just because a host dishes it up to you?
It's disrespectful IMO for a host to dish anything up without finding out beforehand what you may feel comfortable about eating, and if they thenget offended because you then politely decline, tough on them.
I cannot see the point of hyping yourself up to eat cuy if you don't want to eat it.
Make a decision now and stick with it, and chuck it under the table secretly to get rid of it, if they don't accept your polite declining to eat it.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve

jimshu

Postby sinecure » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:34 pm

srayner wrote:So im going to try to be open to this and at least try it. But im worried. if i dont like it, will the locals be offended? Will they sereve this at a home stay in Puno? How disrespectful will it be if i dont eat it? ekk.

Cuy was not on the menu at our home-stay in Puno. I believe we had chicken, potatoes, and stew.
sinecure

Postby JaliscoJudy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:06 am

jimshu wrote:The ' disrespect' thing goes two ways remember.
Why eat something you don't wish to eat just because a host dishes it up to you?
It's disrespectful IMO for a host to dish anything up without finding out beforehand what you may feel comfortable about eating, and if they thenget offended because you then politely decline, tough on them.
I cannot see the point of hyping yourself up to eat cuy if you don't want to eat it.
Make a decision now and stick with it, and chuck it under the table secretly to get rid of it, if they don't accept your polite declining to eat it.

I think people should respect others' decisions about food too. In my experience though, a cuy is often the very best people have. To be offered cuy is an honor and a symbol of respect for you. To refuse it would embarrass the hosts, but they would probably not make a big deal about it in front of you. Cuys are not cheap. You pay $15-$25 US for one in a restaurant, which is a a lot of money here. People raise cuys to eat, but also to sell (here babies sell for $5, full grown for $10). They eat them for special occasions, which makes me think it wouldn't be on the regular menu for a home stay. Anyway, I'm with Jim -- don't eat it if you don't want to, but do your best to let your hosts down easy and let them know how much you appreciate the offer.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
JaliscoJudy

Postby jimshu » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:25 pm

Visit Mongolia and nomadic herders think to honour you with a nice plump juicy fat sheeps tail which is just a huge lump of roasted or boiled fat.
So we just introduced early into the conversation by translator to say we do not eat fat. Our hosts were actually delighted, because it meant they could eat it all themselves! While we ate the meat.

We all were happy, hosts and guests. They had been able to honour us by serving it to us, but were doubly honoured by our then offering our portions back to them! We each got what we really liked, and learned a little more of each other.

There are ways and means of handling these situations. Use your heads and if possible, discuss your likes with your hosts early.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve

jimshu

Postby nowbyword » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:15 pm

Thank you to everyone who replied. I am now determined to have cuy in Peru. :D
nowbyword

Next

Return to South America