Water in Peru & Inca Trail

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Water in Peru & Inca Trail

Postby envirochick72 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:50 am

Hello,

So my husband and I leave in a week and a half but we have just realized we haven't thought one through yet - WATER!

How do we get water along the inca trail - things we should do and shouldn't do when it comes to the water. I mean we know the basics no ice or tap water. But how do we get more water each day?

As well any other suggestions on water for amazon, cuzco, lima, and puno?
envirochick72
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Water in Peru & Inca Trail

Postby sinecure » Mon May 30, 2011 1:16 pm

The Porters will have water for you at camp each night as well as some at lunch and breakfast. You're responsible for a water bottle and having enough on you for each leg.

Have a great time!
sinecure

Postby graybeard » Mon May 30, 2011 1:50 pm

And, since you are bound to ask later, the water the cooks provide at the camps and lunch stop is indeed boiled. Don't underestimate how much water you need to drink while hiking, so make sure your h20 bottle is large enough - at least one liter, better two.

As for water in town, at hotels, etc., just use the usual precautions. If you plan on having a pisco sour (as you should!!!), just make sure it is not made with ice. Bottled water is readily available everywhere. Or, you can bring your own water purifier system.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby envirochick72 » Mon May 30, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks folks,

I have a 3 litre hydration pack and a 500ml bottle for the hike. I don't intend to fill it, but I may in the evenings to help thru the night.

- thanks again graybeard
envirochick72

Postby IncaTrail50 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:01 pm

They ask at the beginning of the hike how much water you expect to need each day so the porters know how much water to boil. They have water ready in the morning and at lunch for you to fill up, not so much at dinner. I'd go easy on the water at night anyway. We were there in May a few years ago and by 6PM it was really, really dark out. Trekking to the washroom in that darkness wouldn't have been for me! And you really don't want to lie there in agony all night with a full bladder waiting for the sun to come up, you need your sleep for the hike!
Have fun, it's an awesome place!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby ballu » Mon May 30, 2011 3:06 pm

As mentioned...bring a water bottle. It's been a while since I did the trek (2004) but we were able to buy water on nights 1 & 3...just night 2 we had to rely on boiled water.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby RichieRich » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:49 am

You may also want to bring water purification tablets. I got very sick on the inca trail along with four other people and we're pretty sure it was the water. On one night I don't think they boiled the water long enough. Also, please understand that I blame no one as the porters and cooks do an amazing job. This is adventure travel and these things happen.

So in short. Buy water when you can and bring tablets.
RichieRich
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby envirochick72 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Well after reading a lot of the posts about people getting sick along the trail - we decided to bring our extra purification tablets and buy when we can.

Thanks so much for the help folks!
envirochick72

Return to South America