Food in Peru?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Food in Peru?

Postby envirochick72 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:06 am

Hey Folks,

My husband and I are heading out in two weeks for the Quest of the Gods - exciting!

We are going to be in Lima for 2 days, Cuzco for 2 days, Lake Titicaca, Machu Picchu and hiking the Inca Trail.

Does anyone have any food recommendations or places we should stay away from??? Things we should really try and things we shouldn't ?

My ears are open - can't wait to fill my belly!

Thanks!
envirochick72
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Food in Peru?

Postby sinecure » Thu May 26, 2011 6:03 pm

Your guide will help you with this.. but there are beef hearts that are very yummy. There are Cuy, and much more. Eat lots and you won't be disappointing.
sinecure

Postby IncaTrail50 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:23 pm

Ceviche (after the Inca Trail hike, not before!) and alpaca steak. Our guide did say not to try anything very different before the hike just in case our stomachs weren't happy with it! Also, try the pisco sours, very refreshing.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby envirochick72 » Fri May 27, 2011 8:43 am

I am aware that the guides will help us as we have taken trips with GAP before. We were just wondering if anyone had suggestions or places they ate that were amazing or food they ate which was super yummy and on the flip side - what to stay away from.

It's good to note that not trying anything crazy before the hike. Makes a lot of sense but never thought of it. Thanks!
envirochick72

Postby kris_nyc » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:59 pm

I found that the ceviche was only good at coastal towns - it was excellent in Lima. I had some ceviche made of the trout from Lake Titicaca and didn't like it nearly as much as the ceviche mixto (which, as the name implies, includes a mix of different types of seafood). The grilled whole trout by Puno and Lake Titicaca is super fresh and delicious, though.

I love anticuchos de corazon (skewered and marinated beef hearts), if you're a more adventurous eater. I also like the aji de gallina (chicken in a yellow pepper sauce, though not spicy). The vegetable soup with quinoa is great.

You'll find pollo a la brasa places (chicken rotisseries) everywhere. They're great for yummy, filling and cheap lunch or dinner.

I found alpaca meat to be kind of meh - a little dry and tough, since it's so lean, but it's always fun to try new things.

Enjoy!
kris_nyc
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby moviegeekjn » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:58 pm

I did find good ceviche in Cuzco at the Inka Grill (located in the central square). The same restaurant (recommended highly in TripAdvisor) also had a number of other good dishes with a local flavor.

Also ate 2-3 times at Green's Organic in Cuzco--they had salads that were extremely good along with other dishes (meats, pastas, etc.) some with local flavor.

Good advice posted here about sticking to safe and known food before trekking. Jack's cafe in Cuzco has a largely westernized menu with safe choices (extremely generous portions).
moviegeekjn
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to South America