La Paz, 1-2 free days and no Spanish skills- any suggestions

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

La Paz, 1-2 free days and no Spanish skills- any suggestions

Postby dirtslinger » Thu May 19, 2011 1:18 am

Looking at joining one of the Bolivia Discovery trips. I'd love to visit La Paz a couple days prior to the tour.
Any suggestions on what to do? I know basically NO Spanish, but would love to check out exciting things that won't be visited during the trip!
Isn't that CRAZY cliff edge highway around there? Is it worth a taxi trip or just a plain bad call?
Any other ideas appreciated!
Thanks!!
dirtslinger
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: La Paz, 1-2 free days and no Spanish skills- any suggestions

Postby IncaTrail50 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:30 am

You'll find people who speak some English no matter where you go usually. However, I always buy the Lonely Planet phrase books for any country I visit. They are under $10 usually, fit in a pocket, and contain not only language and phrases but also information about the country. You can learn a few things like "please" and "thank-you" but the book also comes in handy if you are stuck somewhere that no one speaks English. In a pinch you can read the phrase from the book or at least point to it so it can be read by the person you're trying to communicate with! It's also helpful for reading menus if you are off the beaten track and they aren't in English.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Re: La Paz, 1-2 free days and no Spanish skills- any suggestions

Postby IndyGent » Thu May 26, 2011 2:02 am

Hey there,

Will you be in La Paz when they celebrate the Fiesta? I think it is on a weekend in June if I remember right. La Fiesta de Senor Jesus del Gran Poder. Well worth seeing if you can plan around it.
You could visit Tiahuanaco not far from La Paz, not very exciting but very mysterious and perhaps visit the Valley of the Moon on the way back.
Wandering the different street markets is an interesting thing to do. Each street is like a different department in a department store with one dealing in housewares, one with clothes, candy and stationery. Rudimentary Spanish works fine and the people are very nice.

I don't think I met one rude person the whole time I was in Bolivia. :)

IndyGent
IndyGent
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to South America