Yellow fever and Peru

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Yellow fever and Peru

Postby tollah » Tue May 17, 2011 6:10 pm

I started freaking out today because I read somewhere here in one of the forums that proof of Yellow Fever vaccination was required at Puerto Maldonado airport to go to the Amazon. After scouring the internet I decided to call GAP (which I should have done first) and was told that a year ago this was true.
So, for anyone who is wondering proof of vaccination is NOT required in Peru.
tollah
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Yellow fever and Peru

Postby Zuleika » Wed May 18, 2011 12:44 pm

hold on - NOT required/checked in Peru - ie as in flying in and out of Lima is true - but required in Puerto Maldonado if you go there - they check at this airport and anyone with out proof gets the jab there and then (what happened when i went). Or is this what has changed now?
And - even if this has changed, you are coming from and endemic area so you may not get back in your OWN country if you havent had the jab.
Lastly - as the jungle areas are an endemic area you would be mad not to get the jab!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby tollah » Wed May 18, 2011 5:43 pm

I also double checked with the list from the World Health Organization and the Centre for Disease Control, and they both say the same thing.
The only reason I haven't had the shot is that I actually forgot about it (I know!) and now it is too late anyway. I was worried about not being able to travel.
tollah

Postby katyd » Thu May 19, 2011 2:23 am

tollah wrote:I also double checked with the list from the World Health Organization and the Centre for Disease Control, and they both say the same thing.
The only reason I haven't had the shot is that I actually forgot about it (I know!) and now it is too late anyway. I was worried about not being able to travel.

I flew in and out of Puerto Maldenado in April, this year. I was not asked to show proof of vaccination at any entry or exit point in Peru or USA.
Although, I would not recommend traveling to the amazon without Yellow Fever Vaccination. Not because of trouble at the airport but, more importantly, for your own health! Yellow fever shot is effective 10 days after injection....
katyd

Return to South America