Peru and weather - keeping warm

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Peru and weather - keeping warm

Postby envirochick72 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:09 pm

Hey Folks,

So up until today I've felt pretty comfortable in my ability to be warm in my camping/hiking gear and now I'm starting to get nervous about whether or not my husband and I will be warm while travelling the Inca Trail. Now I'm starting to think for the first time I'm a little OCD on this stuff, which is probably the first time ever when it comes to hiking. I'm a pretty prepared person - but I just don't know if what I am planning for me and my husband is good enough or right. All opinions, including if you think I'm nutz after the posts. hahah feel free to laugh!

My question for people who have done the trip or planning on doing this one or if you have done something similar... which do you prefer merino wool or polypro? I know that everyone is saying icebreaker no stink wool - what about MEC ( for those who know of it).

Also - fleece vests in the morning & evenings or a synthetic/downfilled light compactable one (north face/mec/patagonia, etc). That being said it would be worn with layers as well.

I know we get hot during the day and it will be up to like 22 degrees in temperature but will we want really lightweight pants or somethign a little warmer that zips off to shorts.

Our wind shells will be our rain jackets with layers underneath.

Do people suggest wool toques or fleece?

Sleeping - we have fleece liners for our bags now and plan to bring them, does this sound too warm ontop of the rental bags? We were going to wear our fleece longjohns or polypro saving the merino wool tops for day time hiking. Does this sound ok?

Just getting a little nervous and looking for suggestions/opinions.

Thanks in advance!

EC
envirochick72User Rank: Traveller
envirochick72
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Peru and weather - keeping warm

Postby graybeard » Mon May 16, 2011 10:19 pm

Try this - it's a link to your same question with a response in another thread.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17232
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to South America