Tall Men & Packs - Inca Trail

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Tall Men & Packs - Inca Trail

Postby envirochick72 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:13 am

Hey Folks,

So my husband is 6'3" and we are trying to find him a good pack that holds approx. 22-28L for our trip to Peru next month. We have day packs now, but they are not suited for this type of hiking. Does anyone know of good brands to look at or packs that seem to work for them with this type of height?

PS... Canadian shopping only as we are cutting it close for shipping times - but welcome all suggestions because it will help us make the right choice.

Cheers,

Envirochick
envirochick72
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Tall Men & Packs - Inca Trail

Postby graybeard » Thu May 12, 2011 10:56 am

If your question is about a pack for hiking the Inca Trail... a day pack is all that is necessary. The amazing porters carry everything else in GAP supplied bags. If tall husband is actually planning on backpacking someplace a MEC store is good. Pricey, but good. NOTE: This word has different meanings in different English speaking countries. So, by backpacking I mean actually hiking for several days wearing the pack all day. If it is merely to carry your clothes, etc. to the hotels then one does not need to be all that picky about fit. An inexpensive duffel bag works fine.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby envirochick72 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:12 am

Hello Graybeard,

Thanks for the input. We do mean day packs as we are avid hikers, campers, canoests and understand what you were saying :) MEC is good but not always amazaing. We have 17L day packs from them, but feel they are a little small and we should upgrade. Not only that but the day pack that my hubby has is not meant for a 6'3" man.

Thanks for the suggestion - they are always welcomed :)

Happy Travels :)

EC.
envirochick72

Postby thecakeisalie » Thu May 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Whether or not a pack fits a taller person isn't necessarily brand specific, your best bet is to just try a few different options to see what feels right. And it's not just overall height, but build, posture and torso length that are also important for fitting. At 6'3" he's tall, but not in the We're Going to Need a Team of Scientists to Design a Specialty Harness range. MEC should carry enough different brands (all of which are "good" brands) to find something that works. Make sure to try it on with a full load though. My favorite brand is Osprey (I'm 6'2" btw) simply because their packs are light, comfy, and intuitive.
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby envirochick72 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:17 pm

thecakeisalie wrote:Whether or not a pack fits a taller person isn't necessarily brand specific, your best bet is to just try a few different options to see what feels right. And it's not just overall height, but build, posture and torso length that are also important for fitting. At 6'3" he's tall, but not in the We're Going to Need a Team of Scientists to Design a Specialty Harness range. MEC should carry enough different brands (all of which are "good" brands) to find something that works. Make sure to try it on with a full load though. My favorite brand is Osprey (I'm 6'2" btw) simply because their packs are light, comfy, and intuitive.

Thanks, I've been looking at the Osprey as well they seem like a longer/lighter pack then most.
envirochick72

Postby wiebler » Thu May 12, 2011 4:30 pm

My husband is 6 feet and loves his Osprey Talon 22 backpack. I plan on buying the same one as I keep borrowing his :P
wiebler
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to South America