Iguaza Falls visa questions

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Iguaza Falls visa questions

Postby mich510 » Sun May 08, 2011 6:17 am

Hi all,
I am planning on going to Iguaza Falls in October. My friends and I want to do the Essential Patagonia tour and after that, go on to Iguaza via the TSAIFN trip offered by GAP. The Essential Patagonia tour ends in Santiago. We are trying to figure out where the best place to fly into is (Argentina vs. Brazil). We are from the US and realize there are airport fees in Argentina and visa costs in Brazil....does anyone have any input on where we should go? Does one end up being cheaper than the other? AND- is there any way to avoid the Brazilian visa fee if we are only there for a day?

Thanks for any input you may have!
Michelle
mich510
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Iguaza Falls visa questions

Postby TravelFun » Sun May 08, 2011 9:50 pm

Hi Michelle,

How much time do you have once your trip ends in Santiago? If you have the time then do consider getting to Buenos Aires by bus from Santiage via Mendoza with a couple of days in Mendoza!

If flying then you're better off going to Argentina and it will be quicker and flight costs would be cheaper than Brazil, mainly because it's a shorter journey. Then take the flight from Buenos Aires to Foz do Iguazu...again there's always the option of buses to keep the cost down but only if you are not limited by time.

Here's a link to a similar question:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13531&hilit=falls+visa

You may want to send a PM to thecakeisalie to find out about going across to the Brazil side. I'm from the UK so do not have visa-related issues.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby thecakeisalie » Mon May 09, 2011 2:15 pm

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be much help as I didn't follow through with that original plan, just not enough time and money to add it on to my trip.

But if you do fly into EZE the fee for US citizens is about $140, good for ten years (or as long as your passport has left on it). That said, I have heard that the Argentinean side is more beautiful than the Brazilian side, and some people told me not even to bother with doing the border crossing to Brazil because it wasn't worth the hassle. I also read some accounts online (so take it with a grain of salt) that sometimes the border patrols are quite lax, and will let you visit just for the day without visas. I'm not sure I would count on this without doing a bit more research though, buyer beware on this one.

Since the Essential Patagonia tour is only in Chile, either way it is going to cost a significant chunk of time and money to visit, but I do like Travel Fun's suggestion of seeing some other parts of Argentina along the way and taking the slow route. Seems like you can get more bang for the visa buck that way at least. You may want to check out the Thorn Tree forums too (Lonely Planet) as I seem to recall some good advice there as well.
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer

Postby eric » Mon May 09, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi,

Agee with what has already been said.

IF you only see the falls from 1 side, then choose the Argentine side.

As your Patagonia trip starts / finishes in Santiago - Chile, and it looks like
you plan to end in Iguaza I suggest you ask your travel agent for several
different quotes on Airfare:
1 Home to Santiago Return - ie if you did just the Patagonia trip

2 a Home to Santiago
b Santiago to Iguazu
c Iguazu to Home (or maybe Buenos Aires to Home)
ie a multi stop - if you haven't much time
Haven't done it but Iguazu to Buenos Aires is a bus trip

3) a: Home to Santiago
b) either Iguazu or Buenos Aires to home
an "open jaw" ticket.
I only suggest Buenos Aires as a possible return point as
maybe there are far more flights home - & it may proove cheaper.

Good luck

Eric / London / England
eric
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby TravelFun » Mon May 09, 2011 3:58 pm

thecakeisalie wrote:That said, I have heard that the Argentinean side is more beautiful than the Brazilian side, and some people told me not even to bother with doing the border crossing to Brazil because it wasn't worth the hassle.

No, no, no, please don't say that...I went to the Brazilian side and it was awesome and a very memorable experience. This side you get to see the vastness of the falls and from the Argentinian side you get the closest but both are spectacular.

On the Brazilian side I took the helicopter ride (you really get to see the length of the falls), a boat ride (just to get wet is fun) and a good 'ole walk towards the falls...plenty of flora and fauna enroute and loved the rainbows that kept forming. I have yet to do the Argentinian side but when I do I will cross over to do the Brazilian side again.

By the way, thanks for responding so quickly and shame you didn't make it but do out on your list of things to do :wink:

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby thecakeisalie » Mon May 09, 2011 5:08 pm

TravelFun wrote:No, no, no, please don't say that...I went to the Brazilian side and it was awesome and a very memorable experience. This side you get to see the vastness of the falls and from the Argentinian side you get the closest but both are spectacular.

See, this is why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet! And make no mistake, I am more than happy to be told I'm wrong on this, because it gives me an excuse to one day visit both sides. It is definitely on my list...
thecakeisalie

Return to South America