Amazon river cruise

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Amazon river cruise

Postby swarman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi, we are interested in going on the 9 day Amazon river boat cruise leaving from Iquitos.
Has anyone taken this trip? what are the boats like? are the excursions as advertized? what about the accomodatios in Lima? mosquitos? where do you get apropriate clothing?

Help!! Shiela
swarman
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Amazon river cruise

Postby dirtslinger » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:02 pm

-Mosquitos weren't really an issue, bring bug spray and sun screen but the sun is the bigger threat.
-Boat was good, clean and well staffed. Not luxury style but did the trick, ac in rooms was nice.
-Things may have changed but fishing was fun, sightseeing in the speedboats was fun. Wildlife viewing was decent. Not the most pristine amazon experience however if it's you're first trip out there you will be likely be blown away.
As more of a naturalist and outdoorsy type there were times where I felt it was too comfort-style. The Puerto Maldonado trips suited me best, yet I think some would enjoy the boat better.
Appropriate clothes are pants and shirts, flip flops and shorts, sunglasses, hat.
dirtslinger
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to South America