Torres del Paine National Park - Full 'W' Trek

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Torres del Paine National Park - Full 'W' Trek

Postby katyd » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:09 am

I'm thinking about booking Essential Patagonia for the this fall. Has anyone been on this trip? More specifically, I'm curious about the details of the hike in Torres del Paine national Park. Is it GAP guides or local guides? Sleeping in tents or lodges? Average temps? Difficulty rating? Any information anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
katyd
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Torres del Paine National Park - Full 'W' Trek

Postby eric » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:55 am

Hi,

Have a look at the detailed notes for this tour

http://www.gapadventures.com/trips/esse ... p-details/

Days 8-11

I did "Patagonia Dreaming" some years back - you are spending more time in
Torres del Paine than we did.
http://www.gapadventures.com/trips/pata ... SAPD/2011/

I expect (as usual) your GAP guide will "come along with you" while this part of the tour is arranged by a local team. Not to decry your GAP guide - they have a tough job getting you around your tour smoothing out local hitches - so you don't notice.

Regards

Eric / London / England
eric
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Torres del Paine National Park - Full 'W' Trek

Postby thecakeisalie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi,

I just got back from TdP about a month ago, and it is a fantastic park with amazing scenery from start to finish. I organized it myself and therefore most likely had a different schedule than what is listed in the dossier (linked in above post), so difficulty rating may vary from me to you. Overall, the hiking is tough with a lot of elevation gain and lost. Certain sections are obviously going to be more difficult than others, and our route caused us some backtracking up some inclines. Weather is also a big factor, as a rainy day can make the going a lot slower, while bright sunshine improves everyone's mood! Unfortunately, predicting the weather in advance is an impossibility - you just have to prepare for everying; snow, rain, wind, and yes... occasionally perfect weather. :wink:

That said, I read through the dossier and had a few questions myself about the outlined hike, you may want to call GAP directly and ask for specifics. It says 5 days of hiking, and then lists 4 days of times and distances, which leads me to believe that the first day is just arrival and maybe a short hike, but no real progress as far as completing the W is concerned. If that is the case, then 4 days to complete the W is rather aggressive (as is suggested by the distances covered), and this may be harder than you expect. Start your stair climber routine now! Also, based on the times and distances provided I am assuming this means you are camping (could be wrong about this, but again, call GAP directly and check with them).

EDIT: Just read through the dossier more carefully and it says 3N camping. I'm assuming you'll spend the first night at Hosteria Torres and do the trek E to W, but either way the difficulty is roughly the same.

Average temps were probably 50s-60sF, but that can change in a heartbeat. The biggest threat is rain, make sure you've got water resistant shoes/boots, and always have dry clothes to change into after a hike.

Good luck!
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Return to South America