Easter Island advice, anyone?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Easter Island advice, anyone?

Postby iiztehtravelbug » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:36 am

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has been to Easter Island (with GAP) so far. What did you like the most and what was not-so-cool?

Any suggestions for a soon-to-be visitor?

Cheers! :D
It is not down in any map; true places never are. ~Herman Melville
iiztehtravelbug
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: Easter Island advice, anyone?

Postby IncaTrail50 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:41 am

Are you adding that on to an Antarctic trip? I'm considering that for early 2012. If I'm going all that way I might as well see what else is there!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby iiztehtravelbug » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:59 am

Yes, I am adding the 7-day extension to Antarctica. I'm planning to take the one in December! :)
iiztehtravelbug

Postby zebracruiser » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:09 am

Haven't been on a GAP trip there, but have been to Easter Island. I thought it was spectacular. So remote and beautiful. i would see everything you can - it's a small island and there are only so many things to do. Definitely visit all the moai sites. There is also supposed to be a beautiful beach that we did not make it to. Horseback riding would be another wonderful option.
zebracruiser
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby PaulTeolis » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:07 pm

i spent 10 days on easter island photographing and did a homestay with a family, then followed that up with a GAP trip through bolivia and chile.

easter island is very expensive so I didnt want to blow the budget on hotels, which is easy to do. It's an incredible place to experience and a very surreal place, but a location I have always wanted to visit.

if you want any connections on the island or have specific questions, drop me a line.

cheers
paul
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby iiztehtravelbug » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:50 am

Thanks, guys! :)

I am still trying to make up my mind about whether I want to do this with GAP or on my own. While the GAP trip is more convenient, I am afraid the three days embedded in the package might be too short a time span for me.

Also:

How much of the island is accessible on foot?

Is it safe to walk around within and outside Hanga Roa?

zebracruiser wrote:Haven't been on a GAP trip there, but have been to Easter Island. I thought it was spectacular. So remote and beautiful. i would see everything you can - it's a small island and there are only so many things to do. Definitely visit all the moai sites. There is also supposed to be a beautiful beach that we did not make it to. Horseback riding would be another wonderful option.

Sounds very exciting!! I really want to see the moai heads! I can only imagine the air of mystery that island has all around it.

PaulTeolis wrote:easter island is very expensive so I didnt want to blow the budget on hotels, which is easy to do. It's an incredible place to experience and a very surreal place, but a location I have always wanted to visit.

if you want any connections on the island or have specific questions, drop me a line.

Paul, I appreciate your willingness to give up contacts. I will be in touch with you soon! :)

Cheers, all! :D
iiztehtravelbug

Postby shirley m » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi,
I did Easter Island a few years ago on my own. I did not find it expensive, especially considering its location. I went for the 2 week Tapati Rapa Nui festival, usually beginning of Feb. I would emphatically suggest being there for that event. It is beyond anything you can find anywhere. I have travelled the globe and it was one of the best trips I've had. And yes, it is a very safe place.
shirley m
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to South America