Colombia Coffee Trails?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Colombia Coffee Trails?

Postby dirtslinger » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:59 pm

Just read about this one, it sounds fantastic.
Has anyone been on this trip? Would like to hear your impressions! Thanks.
dirtslinger
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Colombia Coffee Trails?

Postby dirtslinger » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:34 am

It seems by this and talking to the Gap agent that Columbia trips are not commonly booked.
Seems nobody has actually taken this tour to date!

Which is too bad as I have 2 weeks available in January with a very tight timeline if one were required to reschedule.
dirtslinger

Postby DanielBMe » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:26 pm

It's a shame as it looks to be a fantastic trip! I think GAP should Guarantee some of the dates otherwise very few people will book these trips. I think people in the back of their minds still associate Columbia with being a dangerous place but don't realize much has changed there in the last couple of years.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby dirtslinger » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:52 am

I agree, that is a GREAT idea! Gap???
dirtslinger

Postby TravelFun » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:05 am

I went to Colombia back in 2006 and loved the place and felt safe and didn't feel uncomfortbale at all. Over the years the situation has improved greatly and I would recommend anyone to go...as for the trips not being guaranteed then don't worry and just book it. If everyone avoids booking then trips will never become guaranteed and remember it only requires a minimum number for the trip to go ahead.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby dirtslinger » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Booking is easy, the problem is if you have only 2 weeks off and in dire need of a trip- you don't want to then settle for something less. There is little else interesting to me at that time, so it's just gotta work (it will!)

BTW I'm signed up now, and hoping it goes as planned! Changing flights sounds expensive so hopefully all goes as scheduled.
dirtslinger

Postby TravelFun » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:00 pm

dirtslinger wrote:Booking is easy, the problem is if you have only 2 weeks off and in dire need of a trip- you don't want to then settle for something less. There is little else interesting to me at that time, so it's just gotta work (it will!)

BTW I'm signed up now, and hoping it goes as planned! Changing flights sounds expensive so hopefully all goes as scheduled.

I hear ya...I've been in that position twice before...I sooooo wanted to go on the trips that I would check every week for the latest update, thinking someone book, guarantee that trip and finally I went on both tours, on the dates I wanted.

...and good to hear you have booked. Now make sure you have the correct travel insurance that will cover for any cancellations (just in case) etc..

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby kiwikoalabaer77 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:03 am

The Colombia Coffee Trails really looks amazing, I agree with you, dirtslinger. I think, it's a new trip in 2011 maybe that's why nobody can tell you about his or her experiences with this tour. Yes, and probably people still think Colombia is a dangerous place and don't realize that it makes a difference if you are travelling individually or on a group tour.

I know exactly what you mean about trips or departures which are not guaranteed and I would also appreciate if GAP would guarantee at least one or two departures on each trip they offer. Do you plan to to Colombia this year? If so, maybe just post here in the wateringhole when you want to go to encourage other people to book exactly this departure.

I have three experience with non-guaranteed departures. In 2009 I booked a trip which was not guaranteed and it got cancelled a little more than two months before departure. Since then I always wait until the trip gets guaranteed. Prior I check with GAP how many people are booked on the departures I intend to book to filter out how the chances are and if I am flexible to hop on another departure where there are more confirmed bookings. The last two times I was lucky the trips finally got guaranteed.

Good luck for the Colombia trip :)

Vanessa

Stories and photos from my travels: http://www.travellingcolognian.com/
kiwikoalabaer77
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby moviegeekjn » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:35 pm

This trip is at the top of my wish list! Very excited about possibility of going on this--hopefully in 2012. I've booked other trips this year, but I am very much hoping that some dates for this trip will be a go next year.

I've seen Columbia listed with a couple of other adventure tour groups, but THIS is the only itinerary that really appeals to me. Similar situation exists for the other companies--very few dates are guaranteed to make. I'm hoping people get over fears of Columbia in the coming months.
moviegeekjn
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to South America