Weather and clothing in Peru

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Weather and clothing in Peru

Postby tollah » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:04 am

Hi everyone,
I am going to Peru for the Essence of Peru trip, starting on 24 May. I am having a hard time deciding what to pack in the way of cold weather gear. I have searched the internet and read that the temperature can drop to 0C but climb as high as 20C during the day. That is quite the range.
Does anyone have any experience being in Peru late May/early June that could give my info/advice on weather and appropriate clothing?
The trip also goes to the Amazon for two days, which will be a different climate altogether. Other stops include Cuzco, Sacred Valley, and Puno.
Thanks in advance,
Roger
tollah
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Weather and clothing in Peru

Postby eric » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:34 pm

Hi,

Layers of thin-ish quick dry clothes are the key to success. Not a big heavy jacket.

You can buy an "alpaca woolly" cheaply in the Cuzco market, before the Inca trail,
its good for extra warmth.

Regards

Eric / London / England
eric
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby treetops » Thu May 05, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi Roger
I am also going to Peru for the Essence of Peru trip, starting on 24 May.

I am taking both long /short sleeve quick dry shirts. Pants with a zipper to remove the legs at the knee and a pair of jeans. A jacket for rain and wind and a hat. Hiking shoes, street shoes and sandals. I am thinking more warmish clothing rather than summer type.

Guess we will be travelling together.
treetops
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby tollah » Sat May 07, 2011 11:59 am

I have a work colleague who was recently in Peru and his advice was to be prepared for the cold, especially at night in Cusco.
I have decided to bring a bit more than what is on your list but very similar.
Thanks
tollah

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:06 pm

It will also depend on how much you feel the cold normally. My husband and I went in May and while he hiked the entire Inca Trail with big bulky sweater, long pants, big hat, I mostly hiked with the lower part of my pant legs zipped off, t-shirt, sun hat! :lol: Layers are definitely the way to go, layers that can easily be changed throughout the day as the sun comes and goes. The sun is really hot at that altitude but in the alleyways and out of the sun in the towns you may be cold.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby katyd » Sun May 08, 2011 5:45 am

Hi Roger,
I just got back from Peru a few weeks ago, I was there from the end of March through mid April. I strongly agree with what others have said about the layers. Layers never fail! In Cuzco when the sun was shining, it was fairly warm. I was comfortable in pants, sandles and a sleeveless shirt, but then the clouds came in I needed to cover my arms. Speaking of sun, don't forget that Cuzco is higher than 3000M. Even when it's cloudy and cold you can get sunburned. What you hear about Cuzco getting cold at night is true, as well.

If you plan to do any hiking around Machu Picchu (like huayna picchu or Machu Picchu mountian) bring water and layers you can remove. Machu Picchu is significantly lower in elevation than Cuzco and (when we were there) surprisingly warmer. I was wearing pants as we headed up Machu Picchu Mtn and wanted desperately to be wearing shorts within ten minutes of the 90min hike up.

As for the Amazon... bring lots of insect repellant! They tell you that you need to wear long sleeves and long pants. This seems like a death wish by heat exhaustion at first becuse it is soooooo hot there. But's it's true, the bugs are bad and the bites are itchy and leave very big bumps (I looked like I had a scary disease after 4days) I recommend very light-weight long sleeves and pants, three sets of underwear per day and two-three pairs of socks per day. Also, bring plenty of plastic bags. After the first night EVERYTHING in my duffel was mildly damp due to the humidity. I suggest putting clean clothes into plastic bags so they are dry when you go to put them on. And you'll likely want to seperate your nasty, dirty, sweaty clothes from everything else after you're finished wearing it!

Happy traveling!
Katy
katyd

Postby envirochick72 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:49 am

katyd wrote:Hi Roger,
I just got back from Peru a few weeks ago, I was there from the end of March through mid April. I strongly agree with what others have said about the layers. Layers never fail! In Cuzco when the sun was shining, it was fairly warm. I was comfortable in pants, sandles and a sleeveless shirt, but then the clouds came in I needed to cover my arms. Speaking of sun, don't forget that Cuzco is higher than 3000M. Even when it's cloudy and cold you can get sunburned. What you hear about Cuzco getting cold at night is true, as well.

If you plan to do any hiking around Machu Picchu (like huayna picchu or Machu Picchu mountian) bring water and layers you can remove. Machu Picchu is significantly lower in elevation than Cuzco and (when we were there) surprisingly warmer. I was wearing pants as we headed up Machu Picchu Mtn and wanted desperately to be wearing shorts within ten minutes of the 90min hike up.

As for the Amazon... bring lots of insect repellant! They tell you that you need to wear long sleeves and long pants. This seems like a death wish by heat exhaustion at first becuse it is soooooo hot there. But's it's true, the bugs are bad and the bites are itchy and leave very big bumps (I looked like I had a scary disease after 4days) I recommend very light-weight long sleeves and pants, three sets of underwear per day and two-three pairs of socks per day. Also, bring plenty of plastic bags. After the first night EVERYTHING in my duffel was mildly damp due to the humidity. I suggest putting clean clothes into plastic bags so they are dry when you go to put them on. And you'll likely want to seperate your nasty, dirty, sweaty clothes from everything else after you're finished wearing it!

Happy traveling!
Katy

Thanks sooo much this has helped us out a lot. We've been trying to figure out a few things and this made us realize we need a second pair of pants and that we are on the right track. If you have any other suggestions we are up for hearing them. What size day pack did you use?
envirochick72
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby katyd » Thu May 12, 2011 5:44 am

envirochick72 wrote:If you have any other suggestions we are up for hearing them.

I'm not certain what trip you're headed on, so I'm not sure what information might be helpful... Are you hiking inca trail or Lares Trail?? If so, pay attention to what you will take with you on the hike. GAP gives you a duffel to pack your 6kg of stuff for the hike. If you’re doing Inca trail you must stick to the 6kg limit because porters will be carrying it along with loads of other things for you. If you're hiking lares trail they are a little more lenient on the 6kg limit because horse/mules carry your bags and the provisions. Let me know if you're actually hiking... if so, I can have a lot of more info to offer, if you're interested!

envirochick72 wrote:What size day pack did you use?

I have an Osprey brand "Talan 22" that I use for a day pack and I love it. It's a great sized because it's not too small, but it's not big enough to pack so full that it becomes extremely heavy. It has a pocket for a 3L water bladder. It comes in two sizes, S/M and M/L. I'm 5'11" or 1.79M tall and have the M/L and it's absolutely perfect!

Let me know if you're curious about anything else,
Katy
katyd

Postby envirochick72 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:16 am

katyd wrote:
envirochick72 wrote:If you have any other suggestions we are up for hearing them.

I'm not certain what trip you're headed on, so I'm not sure what information might be helpful... Are you hiking inca trail or Lares Trail?? If so, pay attention to what you will take with you on the hike. GAP gives you a duffel to pack your 6kg of stuff for the hike. If you’re doing Inca trail you must stick to the 6kg limit because porters will be carrying it along with loads of other things for you. If you're hiking lares trail they are a little more lenient on the 6kg limit because horse/mules carry your bags and the provisions. Let me know if you're actually hiking... if so, I can have a lot of more info to offer, if you're interested!

envirochick72 wrote:What size day pack did you use?

I have an Osprey brand "Talan 22" that I use for a day pack and I love it. It's a great sized because it's not too small, but it's not big enough to pack so full that it becomes extremely heavy. It has a pocket for a 3L water bladder. It comes in two sizes, S/M and M/L. I'm 5'11" or 1.79M tall and have the M/L and it's absolutely perfect!

Let me know if you're curious about anything else,
Katy

Hey,

We are doing Quest of the Gods next month which includes the inca trail - hiking to Machu Picchu, as well as the amazon, Lake Titicaca and Lima. I was just looking at those packs the other day. My husband is 6'3" and we have had a hard time finding him a 22-26L pack that fits. We are spending this weekending trying to find some checking out Canadian stores like - MEC, Europebound and Atmosphere. I've found some decent ones to fit me 5'7", but haven't got to really try them yet.

We are up for any and all information you can give us for gear info as well as weather and what to expect.

Feel free to msg me privately too!

Tab.
envirochick72

Postby shazmani » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:18 am

I appreciate it much !
shazmani

Return to South America