Great Southern American Journey - Diet Problems

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Great Southern American Journey - Diet Problems

Postby dobyrne » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:03 am

Hola!

I'm going on the Great South American journey in a month and was just wondering what the food was like on the trip. I am very wheat/dairy intolerant and was wondering how heavily those foods feature in the local cuisine. I'm also going on the Lares trek so any advice there would also be appreciated. Thanks a million!

D
dobyrne
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Great Southern American Journey - Diet Problems

Postby sinecure » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Advise your CEO when you arrive, and they will do their very best to help you navigate the local cuisine. In Peru and Bolivia there was emphasis on rice and potatoes, but not as much on dairy.

Be aware that your dietary restrictions may be foreign to the locals and they may come up with innovative cuisine for you.
sinecure

Postby Antonia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:16 am

You should be fine - you mostly get a lot of choice when it comes to meals unless you're off the beaken track on the Inca trail / Amazon jungle etc. Local specialities depend on where you're travelling to. sinecure is right - in the Andes it's all about potatoes, rice, pasta and soup! Most places do an amazing meat and vegetable soup as a starter but it's a meal in itself! There's also the classic dishes like lomo saltado (Andes take on steak and chips with slices of meat, peppers and onions) and some lovely llama etc steaks. Chile and Argentina are far more developed so you shouldn't have any problems there and Brazil has some amazing fish and fruit.

We ate out a lot throughout the trip and most restaurants had a fair selection of dishes so I'm sure you'll be able to find something to suit. In cities the supermarkets are fairly good too so we often bought lunch there to save money. The porters on the treks generally serve the obligatory soup followed by meat and some sort of pasta/rice/potatoes.
Antonia
Antonia
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby dobyrne » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:27 am

Thanks guys! I didn't think it would be a huge problem but wanted to check anyway. Have to fit into a dress for a wedding when I get back, so need my stomach to behave!

The cuisine sounds delicious anyway, love all of the things mentioned!
dobyrne

Postby Macha » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:22 pm

As others have said, South American cuisine tends to be potato/rice/yucca based, with not much wheat or dairy.

The exception is breakfast, which sometimes limited to bread with jam/jelly. (In other cases, you'll find lots of fruit/meat/eggs.) You may want to take a small stash of dried fruit or gluten-free bars, just in case.
Macha
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby linseyneilson » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:55 am

Hi Dobyrne

I am also doing this trip. Do you start in Lima on 22nd April?
linseyneilson

Postby thehen0010 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:30 pm

hello,
just got back from the lares trek yesterday. what a blast. as for the food, like posted by someone else, just mention it to your tour guide. there were people in the group that had lactose issues and were vegetarians and they were accommodated. they gave us great recommendations when we ate out in town too.
I was a little bummed originally when I was assigned to the lares trek because I booked late. after hearing from the rest of my group that did the Inca trail, I believe Lares was actually better. the Inca trail has 500 people on it, while lares has next to no one. you have the mtn's to yourself. you deff. need to bring some warm clothes for the 1st night. you're camping at 4200m. it was like 0 Celsius and rained my 1st day but the next morning I unzipped the tent to the sun coming up over the mtn's!!!! I brought extra coca leaves to give to the locals to allow me to see the inside of their home (unfortunately it was their election day and everyone HAS to vote or their fined like $100USD).so the locals weren't home because they had to walk like 8 hours to the nearest town. NUTS!!...I would bring some small chocolates for the kids (even thought they don't recommend you do this because it promotes begging). the one big bonus on this trek compared to Inca trail is huayna picchu. you get into Machu Pichuu nice and early to get a ticket to huayna picchu (only 400 per day). but the Inca trail people get in too late and couldn't do this hike. It's steep but worth it!! have fun. any other questions you have, just ask....henry
thehen0010

Postby dobyrne » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:54 am

@Linsey - sorry no. I start the next month, on the 20th of May.

@Macha - yeah breakfast is a problem in all cultures really! Good advice re the bars though, I'll grab a few to take with me.

@Henry - oh excellent. I'm really looking forward to that now. Was initially a bit worried (I have never camped before) but it sounds like fun. Thanks for the heads up re the cold, good to know as I'm sure the weather will be pretty similar when I'm there.
dobyrne

Return to South America