Bringing money to Peru/South America in general

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Bringing money to Peru/South America in general

Postby andreosa » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:56 pm

Leaving for Peru in three weeks, and can't wait! :D Any good tips about bringing money - should I be bringing some Peruvian PEN or US dollars to have in backhand? Might come in handy either at the airport or for other business the first couple of days. How is the ATM situation in Peru by the way?
andreosa
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Bringing money to Peru/South America in general

Postby TravelFun » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:34 pm

How exciting! You can find ATMs in the main cities and towns and your local guide will also let you know how much you need before you get to more isolated areas. Inititally it's good to have some local currency at hand and will keep you going for a few days without worrying, especially when you land into Peru.

I always keep back-up cash of around £200 to £300, depending how long I go for...for emergency use only. Remember to keep your money in different places and not all together.

Check out these sites for ease:
http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/global/
http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-ser ... cator.html

You'll have a great time in Peru.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby ballu » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:36 pm

You shouldn't have any problems finding an ATM in Lima...I hit one at the airport even before getting my luggage. You can also get by on USD for a cab ride to your hotel until you find one. When I was there, USD could be withdrawn from ATMs in Peru...I assume that's still the case.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby markmol » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:01 am

hi i was in Peru in October & used atm's in Cuzco & Lima no problem
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby mich510 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:40 am

ATMs give USD and soles with no problem. Exchanging money is available in all big towns and even a lot of the small towns with no exchange fee. Just make sure if you bring USD that they are in perfect condition...if they are too wrinkled or have tears they cannot accept them to exchange. Also, in some places they give a significantly less exchange rate for $1 bills than other denominations. Finally- many places accept USD (as long as they are in good condition).

Happy traveling!
mich510

Postby ullmandds » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:30 am

as was stated...atm's are around...we found most had limits on the amount you could extract...which was annoying at times...definitely want crisp fresh bills if you bring your own.

strangely at a restaurant we were told we had counterfeit peruvian $$$...which we could not tell the difference and eventually we spent it...and additionally if you are changing currency be very careful and alert as upon arriving home to the usa...I found out I had been given a counterfeit $100 bill while there trying to change $$$$...this kinda sucked!!! LEsson learned...I believe peru is the counterfeit $$$$ capital of the world...be cautious!
ullmandds

Postby srayner » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:53 am

Hello,

We are leaving for Peru in a couple weeks and are very excited! All of the posts above have been very helpful! We still have a couple questions though. For those who have already been, did you find that you used USD more often or Peruvian PEN? We are trying to decide how much to bring of each. I know that we can exchange them there if need be, but with all the counterfeit mentioned, i think we would prefere to take the money with us from home. I have also read that our bank cards may not work in the ATMs in Peru so I would hate to get there and not be able to access our money.

Also, for the extra day trips/excursions that are not included in the trip, can we pay for those with a crdit card, or should be bring more cash for those? Are credit cards accepted in restaurants?

Thanks for everyones help!
srayner
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby envirochick72 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:53 am

Great questions - thank you to who ever can answer!
envirochick72
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby IncaTrail50 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:20 pm

We didn't find credit cards too useful and paid cash for extra excursions and in restaurants. Our Canadian bank cards worked in every machine we tried though. The ATMs are everywhere and you shouldn't get counterfeit notes from them :wink: . You will need Peruvian soles as tips, just for their smaller denomination. We tried to give a cab driver three US one dollar bills as part of his tip and he caused a huge scene, big loud argument in his extensive Spanish and our very limited Spanish! :oops: As already mentioned, they aren't fond of smaller US dollars, or ones that have any imperfection.
Peru is beautiful, have a great time!
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby markmol » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:37 am

i took US dollars & changed them at moey exchangers in Cuzco no problems
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol

Return to South America