Day Pack for the Inca Trail

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Day Pack for the Inca Trail

Postby CdnSue » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:20 pm

I'd like suggestions on what to put in my day pack on the Inca Trail. I'll be hiking at the start of July.

I want to keep the pack as light as possible but am concerned that the fluctuation in temperatures from when we head off each day to mid-day and back down at night might require more clothing than I'd normally put in a day pack.
CdnSue
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Day Pack for the Inca Trail

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:02 pm

When I did the hike a few years ago in May I wore the convertible pants, zip-off legs so I could change on the fly. A tank or t-shirt was warm enough for mid-day and a light fleece was warm enough when we were in the rain/cloud forest out of the sun. I also had a really lightweight waterproof shell (I got at MEC) in case of rain or to add another layer for windbreak. We bought hat/mitts from the Womens' Weaving Co-op in Ccaccaccollo before the hike so I had them as well but only needed them at Dead Woman's Pass. That was all I had and I found it worked well for all the ranges of temperature, and there was a big range! Other than that the rest of my daypack was cameras/lenses/toilet paper/sunblock/hand sanitiser/extra batteries/sun hat, and the snacks we got from the guide each day. I also had a very small notebook to jot down things like distances and elevations.
It was awesome, enjoy!
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby TravelFun » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Just to add to the list...I took a pair of thermals too and used them as PJs as the temperatures dropped quite conisderably over night. The weather is so unpredictable and layers in the best way to go.

As IT50 says....it was awesome!

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby andreosa » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks for great info, you guys. A couple of more questions from me, though: What are the chances for rain on this trip (should I bring my rain gear?), how cold does it actually get at night, and how many t-shirt changes was it necessary to bring?

I'm leaving in three weeks, and simply can't wait to go :)
andreosa
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby graybeard » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:17 pm

Yes, bring rain gear. One can pick up way cheap plastic ponchos in Quito - but one strong wind could shred them. Bring better quality. And, if it doesn't rain (this IS the "dry" season), no biggie. Better to have and not use rather than get wet.

While it is indeed winter in the southern hemisphere now, it did not get below freezing on my trip - best guess would be in the mid-40's F. But, there are a number of websites out there which can give you historical averages. The GAP tent we were provided was a good quality 4 season tent which increases nighttime warmth. The rental sleep bag/pad were also warm. (And I tend to sleep cold.)

T-shirts? Strictly personal preference. I brought two and alternated. Seemed fine.

Enjoy. Eat cuy!! Amaze your friends!!!
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby TravelFun » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:29 pm

graybeard wrote:T-shirts? Strictly personal preference. I brought two and alternated. Seemed fine.

Totally agree, just alternate and don't worry, everyone smells the same so you won't even notice the stench :lol: :lol: :lol:

graybeard wrote:Enjoy. Eat cuy!! Amaze your friends!!!

That's one thing I just couldn't do :shock:

TravelFun

Postby andreosa » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Cheers! Thanks for the tips. Do you think rain pants would be necessary? Overpacking is the people's desease here in Norway, you see. I'll buy a quality rain poncho, then. And can't wait to dig my teeth into that cuy :lol:
andreosa

Postby TravelFun » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:59 pm

July is the 'dry season' so waterproof pants may not be needed...if they're really light and small when packed then might as well take them but if they're heavy duty then I'd say leave them home!

TravelFun

Return to South America