4 day trek on Galapagos/Peru Encompassed trip

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

4 day trek on Galapagos/Peru Encompassed trip

Postby patlvo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:45 pm

I am considering the Galapagos and Peru Encompassed trip. I would like to get some info on how difficult the trek is. I am 60 years old and in good physical shape and health.
Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.
patlvo
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: 4 day trek on Galapagos/Peru Encompassed trip

Postby TravelFun » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:06 pm

If you're in good health and physically fit then you'll have no problem. The altitude makes it difficult so make sure you give yourself enough time to acclimatise beforehand. Oh, there are alot of steps so can add pressure on the knees...that's what I found.

Do search around the site and you'll find a few posts on the Inca Trail but here's one to get you started:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13514&hilit=+altitude

Anything else then just let us know.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby markmol » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:47 am

hi i did the inca trail last October, i am 51 @ did the trek fairly easily, just took my time @ admired the fantastic views.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ballu » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:37 pm

The worst part of the Inca Trail is on day 2 which is pretty much a 5 hour climb up to dead woman's pass...I was 30 when I did it an it almost killed me, but the people in my group who were over 60 seemed to have no problems :)
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby graybeard » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Go. It will be a wonderful time!

How "hard" it is depends entirely on whether or not you are already a fit hiker. Some of the 20 somethings on my hike struggled some because they did not hike. Volleyball, yes. Real hiking, nope.
Also depends on where you are from - the closer to sea level you live the greater the potential impact the altitude will have on you.

And.... absolutely wear good quality hiking boots that you have already broken in and that you like. High top vs mid-height vs low height is personal preference. And, use a pair of hiking poles. They very much help your knees on the downhill and the slippery Inca steps. They can be rented via your GAP CEO in Cusco.

Old Coots Rule! :mrgreen:
graybeard

Return to South America