Favourite tip for Peru & the Inca Trail

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Favourite tip for Peru & the Inca Trail

Postby CdnSue » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:30 pm

I just booked my trip for Peru, including the Inca Trail. I'm interested to learn your favourite tip for travelling in Peru & the Inca Trail!
CdnSue
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Favourite tip for Peru & the Inca Trail

Postby DanielBMe » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:19 pm

For the Inca Trail keep your daypack as light as possible and drink lots of water. Also don't worry if others are going faster than you, just take your time and go at your own pace and enjoy the beautiful views.

Also if you don't want to take medication for the altitude take Ginkgo Biloba pills instead. THat's what I did and I was perfectly fine. Since the GB is all natural there were no side effects. It's been documented to help with high altitude.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby katb » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:58 pm

For the Inca Trail take more money than the recommended amount to tip the porters - after seeing what an amazing job they did we all wished we could have given them more.

The trip I was on gave us about a week at altitude before the Inca Trail to help
acclimatise so we didn't need any medication - just (as said in previous post) drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol!

Kat
katb

Postby IncaTrail50 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:06 pm

I agree with katb about the tips for the porters. Ours were so nice and did a lot to make us comfortable.
We only had two days to acclimatise and didn't need our Diamox but we did take it easy that first day. We also drank the coca tea whenever it was offered and bought coca leaves to take on the trail. They helped too.

Take lots of toilet paper and hand sanitiser! In another forum someone mentioned putting duct tape around the roll of tp, removing the cardboard centre, and then taking from the centre of the roll. It makes the roll more stable so you are less likely to drop it and have it roll away somewhere!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby sambegone » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:11 pm

Be prepared for bad weather whatever time of year. We went in September when its meant to be dry and arrived at the Sun Gate to see nothing but cloud. No Machu Piccu in sight. Gutted. So anyway....prepare for the worst and hopefully you wont be dissapointed!
sambegone
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby carlito25 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:12 pm

Inca Trail was one of the best experiences of my life. After 4 days of hiking, reaching your goal of Machu Picchu is an amazing accomplishment.

I did the hike in September '10. I was 30 and in very good shape. 2nd day of the hike was by far the most challenging. Before leaving for Peru, I went to a travel clinic in the States and received a prescription that would help against altitude sickness (Acetazolamide). I started taking it in Cusco and stopped upon returning to Cusco after the hike. I also drank lots of water and chewed on coca leaves, which acts as a natural stimulant to overcome fatigue, hunger, and thirst... and is also considered effective against altitude sickness. When chewing on coca, only chew on it a few times every few minutes and rotate it from one side of your mouth (in between your cheek and gum) to another.

And as another poster said, take your time and take photos that will properly document yourself on the trail. You'll be glad for it later. There are so many wonderful things to remember. I saw far too many people, just eager to finish the days hike, missing out on quite a bit. There's more to see than the stone path directly in front of you. Also, take a fully charged spare battery or two for your camera. Not many opportunities to recharge during the hike until the last night of the trail.

Lastly, be sure to take a head torch (lamp) for the evenings and very early morning start on the last day of the hike.

Cheers

~Chicago Carl
“A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” – John Steinbeck

Postby TravelFun » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:44 pm

You will be at altitude so it can and will get cold in the evenings on the Inca Trail so do layer up. I went in the month of May and took thermals, hat, gloves, scarf, trekking trousers, t-shirts and waterproof jacket...and added layers and took layers off throughout the day. Needed most during the night though, mind you I do feel the cold easily !

You can hire a sleeping bag there instead of carrying one around and if you're concerned about its condition then it's worth taking a silk liner with you...very light and takes minimum space.

You'll have a fantastic time!

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby IndyGent » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi Sue,

The advice from DanielBMe is bang on.

A side note: I took a big bag of Werther's individually wrapped candies with me loose in the mesh sides of my backpack. They were supposed to be for me but when the porters saw them everyone had to have some. A great way to make friends but it wasn't just the porters for our group that had some so there weren't many left for me.

Oh well, serves me right I guess. :)
IndyGent
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to South America