Peru Amazon Lodges - North or South?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Peru Amazon Lodges - North or South?

Postby susan* » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:08 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for jungle lodges either in the North or South Amazon regions of peru? For that matter, what is your preference - the North or South Amazon?

We're trying to decide if we should go to Iquitos, or go from Cuzco to the Maldonanto region.

Thoughts?
susan*
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Peru Amazon Lodges - North or South?

Postby kris_nyc » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:06 pm

I can't advise North vs. South, but I recently stayed at Posada Amazonas (about 45 minutes by boat from Puerto Maldonado) and I would highly recommend it. They also run another lodge called Refugio Amazonas, which is about 2 hours by boat. They pick you up at the airport, drop you off at their office to repack for the lodge and leave your big bag at their office, then take you to the lodge by boat. The lodge is beautiful, the guides are great and the meals are excellent.
kris_nyc
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby susan* » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:25 pm

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out! :D
susan*

Postby dirtslinger » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:49 pm

The Iquitos region is pretty much ghetto, wildlife viewings were ok BUT, having been to Puerto Maldonado twice now, I would highly recommend that. It is as close as pristine as I've ever visited.
dirtslinger
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby RichieRich » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:09 pm

kris_nyc wrote:I can't advise North vs. South, but I recently stayed at Posada Amazonas (about 45 minutes by boat from Puerto Maldonado) and I would highly recommend it. They also run another lodge called Refugio Amazonas, which is about 2 hours by boat.

I stayed at both lodges for five days and I consider it to be a highlight of my trip. I loved the three wall rooms (fourth room is essentially open to the jungle), no doors, no electricity. As Kris mentioned, the guides were fantastic and I didn't eat better anywhere on the trip than in the Amazon.

What a fantastic time I had hiking through the jungles.
RichieRich
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to South America