Inca Trail: Hiking Shoes, or Hiking Boots?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Inca Trail: Hiking Shoes, or Hiking Boots?

Postby susan* » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi,

My friend and I are doing the Inca Trail in August this year, and have recently been shopping around for our footwear. I just wanted to canvass this forum to see what people who have done the trail thought: do we need to go with hiking boots, covering the ankle, or are hiking shoes fine?

We are going to be doing the Amazon after the GAP trip also, so were thinking boots as the extra ankle coverage might be nice to have in the jungle. Thoughts?
susan*
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Inca Trail: Hiking Shoes, or Hiking Boots?

Postby ballu » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:49 pm

If you've ever had ankel problems in the past, I'd recommend boots. Also, something with good grip and waterproof....the well-worn stone steps can get very slippery when wet.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby graybeard » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:18 pm

Susan,

There has been a lot of discussion on this very topic in this forum. I'd suggest doing a search for it so you can see the wide variety of opinions. The only one clear piece of advice is: whatever you use, be sure the footwear is well broken-in and comfortable before you go. New boots = blisters.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby susan* » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:01 pm

Thanks, will do!
susan*

Postby wavewet » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:43 pm

I did hiking shoes for the whole trail with no issues.

Its a matter of personal preference.

I would suggest make sure they have a decent grip tho.
wavewet
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby katb » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:28 am

I did the Inca Trail last August in hiking shoes with no problems, so I would say it's completely personal preference. I definitely agree with the previous comment about breaking them in before you go though!

Kat
katb
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby des.lynch » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:39 pm

I would recommend hiking boots as they support the ankle on uneven steps and have good grip on wet stones. You don't have to go for the expensive ones as there are many brands and types out there. Make sure they are well broken into as new boots can cause blisters.
des.lynch

Postby IncaTrail50 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:03 pm

Whatever you decide make sure you wear/take them on the plane with you! One of our group packed hers in her luggage and the luggage didn't arrive until after we left for the Inca Trail :( She had to buy footwear in Cuzco and make do with that.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby DanielBMe » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:38 pm

I used hiking boots but think you could easily do with hiking shoes. The only reason I was glad of using boots was for the ankle support. Going down once you get to Dead Woman's Pass, well there were a few times I was sure if I didn't have boots I would have sprained my ankle.

Also judge the weather for when you are going. We had nothing but warm sunny days the entire time.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby nmccart » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:43 pm

Did the hike in Sept. 2010 with hiking shoes. Unless you have some kind of ankle problem I don't see why you would need boots. Most of the group I was with had boots and I was glad I didn't. The last thing you need is heavy boots weighing you down.
nmccart
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby katyd » Sun May 15, 2011 4:00 am

Broken in and waterproof. If you're going to to the amazon with GAP, all the Rainforest expedition lodges provide rubber boots, and you will not need your hiking boots during your visit.
katyd

Postby ala » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:20 pm

I am hiking the inca in July. I was planning on wearing Keens (hiking sandals with good support and grip http://www.keencanada.ca/product/ss11/s ... air%20blue).

Do you think these will work? I was planning on bringing socks if it gets too cold but I've read that it's pretty warm during the day?

How about running shoes, can these be worn?

Thanks!
ala

Postby collywobbles » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:33 am

hi ala

I did the inca trail 3yrs ago and i wore hiking boots and to be honest i did need them there are steep climbs up to some sites and as well when you desend dead womans pass there are over 2000 steps down can be very wearing on ankles and as the steps are quiet uneven boots will give u more support some of my group wore sandles they were ok but one girl her twisted ankle quiet painful also the trail is vry dusty and you want to be able to enjoy the trail get used to wearing ur boots before the trail and u should be fine i also went through the amazon jungle but we were given wellington boots to wear by the lodge we stayed at cos it was very muddy

hope this might help you
collywobbles

Postby collywobbles » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:38 am

sorry ala

it depends on the soles of your running shoes what kind of grips you have on them you will need something that wont cause you to slip also yes socks you will need i did the trail in july very cold at night and the early mornings you will need warm fleece at night also if you need to go out and make a call of nature . it was bloody freezing

enjoy it its a trip of a life time :)
collywobbles

Postby markmol » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:43 am

when i did the inca trail it rained for most of day 3 & the steps were quite slippery, i wore boots & was fine, you may have problems in sandles if it rains
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol

Next

Return to South America