Nazca Lines flights

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Nazca Lines flights

Postby evenflow » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:01 am

Hello all,

I'm going on absolute Peru trip in April and wondering if anyone has any updated information about the safety of flights over the Nazca lines? I know there was another fatal crash in October 2010 so not exactly reassuring.
evenflow
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Nazca Lines flights

Postby sinecure » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:43 pm

Some operators are safer than others. We flew with Areoparacas as recommended with GAP, they split us up to distribute the load among three planes. Everyone had seat belts and two pilots. Our guide seemed quite happy with their safety record, not so much of some of the other companies.

Have a great flight!
sinecure

Postby carlito25 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:41 pm

In September '10, I went on the Peru On a Shoestring. I was definitely interested in seeing the Nazca lines, but was also concerned about the flight safety. Before making my final decision on the flight, I spoke with our CEO and he expressed confidence that the vendor Gap was choosing for the optional flight had a solid safety record. Taking his confidence vote into consideration and also understanding that it was best seeing the lines from the air, I made the choice to do it and was very glad I did so.

A few more things. Our pilot was extremely nice. The day I flew it was sunny on the ground, but a little hazy once we were in the air. When in the air, the plane takes quick turns so that you may hopefully catch more of the geoglyphs. A girl in our group who had a history of becoming nauseated easily was throwing up most of the flight... however, the rest of us (4 other passengers and two pilots) were fine.

Also, if you go, don't expect fantastic pictures with a regular point and shoot camera. Unless you have a fancy digital slr, I would suggest taking a few snaps of some of the larger geoglyphs and then enjoying the rest of the ride.

Lastly, to be fair a plane did crash a few weeks after my flight in October of '10 killing 4 Brits and two Peruvians (the pilots). I don't believe the article gives the name of the company whose plane crashed. A plane also crashed in February of '10 killing seven. Here is a link to the article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/03/tourist-plane-crashes-nea_n_748388.html

Hope this helps!

~Chicago Carl
“A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” – John Steinbeck
User Rank: Traveller

Postby sparklow » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:16 am

Is it recommended to book your Nazca Lines flight in advance or can you wait until you arrive in Lima?

Thanks,
-K
sparklow

Postby carlito25 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:21 am

If you are going with Gap, you don't have to worry about advanced reservations. When you arrive in Nazca, your Gap CEO will ask whether you want to take the flight or not. If you do, he/she will get it set up. Easy. :D
“A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.” – John Steinbeck

Postby sparklow » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:38 am

We are going to be joining a Gap tour but not until after our planned Nazca Lines day. But I think you've still answered by question.. that it's fine to wait until you arrive before booking?

Thanks very much!
sparklow

Postby carlito25 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:55 am

Correct. You should be able to get a flight the day of in Nazca, but if you really want to play it safe, you can book it with an agency once arriving in Lima.

Have fun and happy travels!

Postby nowbyword » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:21 am

Hi experienced Nazca Lines folks:

Are the tourists allowed to bring their daypacks on the plane during the Nazca Lines airtour? Or are they required to put them in some locker on the ground?

Thanks. :D
nowbyword

Postby TravelFun » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:24 am

nowbyword wrote:Hi experienced Nazca Lines folks:

Are the tourists allowed to bring their daypacks on the plane during the Nazca Lines airtour? Or are they required to put them in some locker on the ground?

Thanks. :D

I stayed in a hotel near the airport/runway so didn't take any bag...just my camera. The planes are small as in tiny so less baggage the better I would say. The planes are those propeller plane types and take four people, pilot + 3 passengers. You could keep your bag on your lap or maybe in the airport office but not aware of lockers.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby zebracruiser » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:56 am

When I went, I flew from Lima for a day tour and had a daypack. I didn't hear anyone being asked to leave anything behind. There are different sized planes. The one I went on carried about 10 people plus the pilot and co-pilot. Be prepared if you tend towards motion sickeness!
zebracruiser

Return to South America