Quito and Lima Airport Tax

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Quito and Lima Airport Tax

Postby pocketrocket » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:34 pm

Hi,

I thought that all taxes are paid already in my flight tickets. Is this the case or do I have to pay tax when we fly to Galapagos from Quito and to Peru from Quito. I have bought flights from KILROY travel agent but it do not show any price if tax is included or not?

Anyone any experience?

Safety in Quito? I was reading

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-liv ... ca/ecuador

Scary stuff. I did not think that Equador is so unstable and dangerous place? Now I am worried. Any comments?

Thank you so much to anyone who has taken time to read it and specially if you have any comments.
pocketrocket
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Quito and Lima Airport Tax

Postby JaliscoJudy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:57 pm

I know, it sounds scary, but you have to remember that more than a million people people visit Ecuador each year and have a perfectly wonderful time with no bad experiences. Those articles lay out all the worst case scenarios and teach you some things to watch out for to stay safe. It helps you to remember that you are not at home in your own country, which is important whenever you travel. I haven't spent much time in Guayaquil, but I have visited Quito many times and have never felt particularly unsafe there. I follow the standard common sense recommendations for travelers (no expensive jewelry, take taxis at night, no ATMs at night, no food or drink from strangers, etc. etc.)

Can't speak for Lima, but you do have to pay a $40+ exit tax in cash in US dollars when you leave Quito. In some places, it's part of your ticket, but not here.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby pocketrocket » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. Very kind of you. :D

Galapagos and Peru Encompassed

is the trip we are going. So does that mean I have to pay 2 x £40.80 as we will fly to Galapagos and then to Lima?
pocketrocket

Postby edwannatravel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:41 pm

Personally I like to read all 5 (UK, USA, NZ, Can, Aus)

I really like the way the NZ, Aus, Cans layouts better than US or UK. US is probably the most detailed. Also it helps if you read the description of a country that you know is safe, and you will concluded that the USA and UK tends to make things sound a bit scarier than they really are.

That being said there are spots in Ecuador that all 5 governments are saying don't go to. Don't go to those areas of Ecuador (I doubt those spots are on the GAP itinerary, just don't freelance them.) They also say you need to be extra careful in some areas, avoid certain areas at night or alone in Quito. I bet there are some areas of London that you shouldn't be in alone at night either.

Take their warnings seriously. They aren't just posting this just to scare you. If they say not to travel to a region...that region isn't safe. If they tell you that certain areas are dangerous at night, it ain't just bull.

NZ & Canada each has 4 levels of warning....I feel he bottom two is safe enough, but the top 2 are not. Aus has 5 I avoid the top 2 and stay in the bottom 3.

So according to all 5 gov't Quito is in my comfort range, but the boarder with Peru and Colombia are not. But I would be extra careful in Quito, might take a cab instead of waking in some sections. Make sure I stay in a large group instead of travel alone or with just one other. Might stick to the hotel bar instead of venturing out after dark if I didn't like the neighborhood.
edwannatravel
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby pocketrocket » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:58 pm

Awesome thank you for that too. :)

I bet my english will improve while I read through all of them. I am traveling with my mother and would not like to get her in sticky situation. But we both like to see more than hotel but safely. Equador will be only Quito and Galapagos so fingers crossed we will be fine.
pocketrocket

Postby zebracruiser » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:46 pm

Lima and Quito are both places you don't want to be out alone at night in. Should be fine if you take taxis to popular restaraunts, etc. We walked in a group in Quito and Lima (Miraflores) at night with no problems, but even the locals say its not safe - people will reportedly assault you for a cell phone... or whatever. Don't carry any valuables (cameras, purses) visibly. Walking in populated areas during the day is fine. Do you know where you are staying in Quito? Some areas are pretty isolated in terms of walking anywhere, others are very accessible. Typically the staff at your hotel/hostel are very helpful in letting you know where you can and can't go safely. Wonderful people and places to visit - enjoy!
zebracruiser
User Rank: Traveller

Postby pocketrocket » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Hotel Rio Amazonas in Quito and Hotel Britannia Miraflowers in Lima.

Thank u :D
pocketrocket

Postby zebracruiser » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:13 pm

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with either hotel, but in Lima you will be in Miraflores which will allow you to walk to sights, restaraunts, shopping and the ocean.
zebracruiser

Postby JaliscoJudy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:28 am

pocketrocket wrote:Awesome thank you for that too. :)

I bet my english will improve while I read through all of them. I am traveling with my mother and would not like to get her in sticky situation. But we both like to see more than hotel but safely. Equador will be only Quito and Galapagos so fingers crossed we will be fine.

You will be fine, and you will love it!
JaliscoJudy

Postby JaliscoJudy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:29 am

So does that mean I have to pay 2 x £40.80 as we will fly to Galapagos and then to Lima?

No, the exit tax is only when you leave the country. Galapagos is part of Ecuador so you will only pay when you fly to Lima.
JaliscoJudy

Postby pocketrocket » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi Thank you for that.

My travel agent receipt state that airport taxes are included in flights:

AMS -Quito

Quito - Lima

Lima - AMS

When I asked about this they said all are paid. Next mail was I need to pay Peru -AMS tax $30.. :?:

Now I send email to KLM to clarify what is the case as when I have travel anywhere else airport tax is included on your ticket? Is this now just extra tax from Equador and Peru goverment charging from tourists? :|
pocketrocket

Postby edwannatravel » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:46 pm

Did you read this

http://www.gapadventures.com/trips/abso ... p-details/

before you booked?

It mentions there is a $31 departure tax. It also answers some of the other questions you have posted.
edwannatravel

Postby JaliscoJudy » Fri May 27, 2011 9:59 am

Update: I flew out of Quito a couple of weeks ago and it seems the airport tax is over. They must have enough $ to finish the new airport, which is set to open next year.

JaliscoJudy wrote:...

Can't speak for Lima, but you do have to pay a $40+ exit tax in cash in US dollars when you leave Quito. In some places, it's part of your ticket, but not here.
JaliscoJudy

Postby graybeard » Fri May 27, 2011 1:27 pm

I departed from Quito in late April. Yes, there was an airport departure tax collected. HOWEVER, this is because I purchased my tickets last fall. Tickets that have been bought this year, more or less, have the tax included in the price.

So, nope, still taxing for the new airport. Never seen a tax go away yet. It is just re-purposed.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby JaliscoJudy » Sat May 28, 2011 11:38 am

graybeard wrote:I departed from Quito in late April. Yes, there was an airport departure tax collected. HOWEVER, this is because I purchased my tickets last fall. Tickets that have been bought this year, more or less, have the tax included in the price.

So, nope, still taxing for the new airport. Never seen a tax go away yet. It is just re-purposed.

Very sly. Should have known!
JaliscoJudy

Return to South America