Has anyone had a ceremony w/ a shaman on a Peru tour?

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Has anyone had a ceremony w/ a shaman on a Peru tour?

Postby jamesmichaelrice.com » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:09 am

I was wondering if anyone has done a ayahuasca ceremony with a shaman while on a GAP tour in the Amazon on one of the Peru tours. I am interested in one of the excursions that does the Inca Trail hike and Amazon stay, but I don't know if I should book my own separate Amazon excursion because I would like to take part in one of these ceremonies.

Any information will be appreciated!
jamesmichaelrice.com
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Has anyone had a ceremony w/ a shaman on a Peru tour?

Postby gapmikey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:46 pm

I did have a client join a Shaman in Cuzco but I do not know how its doable in the Amazon Jungle. My clients ended up arranging a ceremony in the town but not through Gap Adventures. Though the local guide might be able to help you.
WHAT'S BEEN MY EXPERIENCE WITH GAP ADVENTURES?
Check out these vids:

Galapagos Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVFIo4wNFGI
Thailand Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTe59cqMHSI
gapmikey
User Rank: Traveller

Postby edwannatravel » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:22 pm

Given GAP's policy on drug use they may not be all that receptive to you doing this on the tour.

"Smoking marijuana and opium is a part of local culture in some parts of the world but is not acceptable for our travellers"

While not completely on point. It might violate GAP policy.
edwannatravel
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby graybeard » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:44 pm

When I was on a Peru Panorama Plus tour with GAP in 2009, participating in a shaman ceremony in the Amazon was offered as an optional activity. One of the folks did sign up for it, but it had to be canceled due to timing problems. So - yes, on the 5 day Amazon option it WAS available and there were no evident GAP policy issues.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby Jackc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:36 pm

Hello James,

In April 2010 I took the GAP Amazon Riverboat Cruise. On one of the day trips we stopped at a lodge "Suite de Maranon" for lunch. After lunch the chairs were rearranged and we had a Shamon ceremony. I do not know if this was part of the GAP trip, or the lodge did this on their own for us.

Jack
Jackc

Postby Reditor » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:20 am

Here is a strange Peruvian Shaman story for you....

About 5 years ago I ran into a guy at a travel show in San Francisco, who said Gap Adventures changed his life forever.

He proceeded to tell me that a number of years before that he booked himself on a Peru tour with us. He had been having a rough time and needed a change in scenery.

Upon arriving at the airport some old man, a shaman presumably, came up to him and told him he was going to go on a quest with him. He ignored the old man.

Carrying on, he had plans to start his Gap Adventures tour the next day. But couldn't get this old man out of his head.

Wandering the streets the next day he ran into the man again and couldn't resist that something he was telling him might be true.

And so, he never joined the tour, instead he took off for many days with this shaman on some kind of spiritual quest. After days spent with the shaman - drinking - eating - doing whatever the shaman said to do - he emerged a new man and said he had found his calling in life.

He never took the Gap Adventures tour, but he couldn't thank us enough for changing his life and getting him to Peru.

Strange story? Sure. True story? Well, I believed him...
The Gap Adventures Difference. It's more than just Lifetime Deposits and Guaranteed Departures:
Why travel with Gap Adventures

Are you signed up for bridging the gap, our inspiring travel newsletter?
Reditor
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby samzc68 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:24 pm

I did Peru Panama Plus in 2008 and we did the Shaman visit but it was more of a talk by the Shaman rather than a personal experience/ceremony. At the end you could try sips of the concoctions they made - I didn't want to try any as didn't want to risk being ill !

It definately wasn't a Bruce Parry type experience !
samzc68
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby jamesmichaelrice.com » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:50 am

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. If anyone has additional information, please feel free to post or contact me in private. Cheers, Jim
jamesmichaelrice.com

Postby dirtslinger » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:55 pm

Refugio Amazonas out of Puerto Maldonado, had ayahuasca sessions available. I didn't notice anyone signing up, but found it interesting it was offered there. I would definitely contact Refugio privately to find out if available and what was involved. The place was well run, my only concern would be it was half strength or what not. Long way to go to not be what you had hoped.
you can get it through gap as well.
dirtslinger

Postby soulsister » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:03 am

Hello There!
I am glad to hear from a like minded person pondering the possibility of ayahuasca with a Traditional Peruvian Shaman. This is a life changing experience, and should be sought after only with great consideration and and open heart. As to the person who was commenting on the use of other drugs, Ayahuasca is NOT a drug. It is a medicinal component that is derived from the local plants and is used (or should be used) only with the presence of an experienced Ayahuascaro Shaman.
As the others have mentioned, depending on the trip you are going there may be some opportunity to take part in an Ayahuasca ceremony but I do stress that you do your research on where this ceremony will take place as is should only be done with professional shamans, and not performed by some willy nilly person off the street trying to make a buck.

I am going to Peru this summer July 28th on the absolute peru trip and I so desperately wanted to take part in authentic Ayahuasca Ceremony perfomed by a traditional Ayahuascero Shaman, however I was very concerned about the saftey of this ceremony as you are very vulnerable when you perform the ceremony. Instead of risking a haphazard experience on the trip I looked into Ayahuasca further and discovered a company called Blue Morpho Tours. http://www.bluemorphotours.com/ It is owned and operated by Hamilton Souther an american man who has apprenticed to become a Shaman under a good hearted shaman in Peru. He has a center located near Iquitos and they cater to the Westernized population and perform Authentic Ayahuasca ceremonies in a SAFE environment. It is a little pricy but well worth it. I would have paid double what they charge. I am going this summer on a seperate tour before I take my gap adventures tour. There is also a documentary made on this center called Metamorphosis, I highly recommend you watch it if you can find it. Hope this helps :)

Ther
soulsister

Return to South America