homestay Lake Titcaca

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: homestay Lake Titcaca

Postby gulina » Wed May 19, 2010 10:24 am

Excellent suggestion Fryfam. We have a couple of the wind up flashlights and I have included them on my list of gifts to bring (that hopefully will make a lasting difference!). Angela
gulina
User Rank: Weekender

Re: homestay Lake Titcaca..gifts and question

Postby madelle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:12 pm

Well I have had a great time getting gifts for the homestay.... I have a soccer ball, a pump and inflating needles, and a flashlight that you shake to charge it up. I also have small things for the kids (frisbee, hackey sacks, and a few other things) I also bought some oven mitts and work gloves. I may get some nice hand soap for the Mama (and girls).... and I think I had better stop. I won't have room to put it all. Also will get some food supplies once I am there and will take pictures and get them back to the family. Thx all for the suggestions. It was all very helpful.

Question: Do you get enough blankets for at night when it gets freezing cold or do you have to wear some extra layers of clothes?
madelle
User Rank: Nomad

Postby sinecure » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:54 pm

In our home stay we had plenty of blankets, if think you might be cold your family might give you some from their own bed.
sinecure

Postby RichieRich » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:49 pm

It was very cold when we went (July) so don't forget to pack warmly. If you're tall

As was stated, your guide will give you suggestions as to what to buy the family before you actually leave for the island.

In terms of gifts, we gave colouring books, crayons, and a soccer ball. Anything the family can't use they will trade with other families. Some people in my group stayed with families that had no children so bear that in mind.
RichieRich

Postby duchessofboblong » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:22 pm

I am off on Absolute Peru later this month and this is the part of the trip I am a little worried about but I feel a lot better now I have read this thread - thanks everyone! :D
duchessofboblong
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby sinecure » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:34 pm

Have a great time!!!
sinecure

Postby p1ckle » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:19 am

were off to peru at the end of august and i am also a bit apprehensive about the homestay but it sounds like everyone that has been has had a great time.

i am most concerned about the football, i have never really played before, can i sit and watch instead?

cant wait for the dancing though :)
p1ckle

Postby Zuleika » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:41 pm

p1ckle wrote:
i am most concerned about the football, i have never really played before, can i sit and watch instead?

cant wait for the dancing though :)

Of course you can sit and watch loads do! Its mostly the boys that play, although a couple of our girls did too, and its all just good fun.
The dancing is BRILL!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby ballu » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:42 pm

I was football observer too....not necessary to play.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby p1ckle » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:13 am

ok cool! :) that makes me feel better YEY cant wait
p1ckle

Postby RichieRich » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:17 am

I was "suffering" a bit from altitude sickness when the football started. Funny how it cleared up when we the dancing started at night.
RichieRich

Postby DanielBMe » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:24 am

RichieRich wrote:I was "suffering" a bit from altitude sickness when the football started. Funny how it cleared up when we the dancing started at night.

Was alcohol involved? :D

Just curious, how much does one typically spend on the gifts for the homestay? I was thinking of maybe buying some stuff around here but have no idea how much to spend. Are we talking $10-$20?
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby RichieRich » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:53 am

I think it was less than $10 but it's all up to the individual. I did bring some colouring books/pencils from home but bought the rest at the dock before you leave for the homestay. You'll be surprised on how much you can buy for so little money.

And oh yes, of course alcohol was involved in the dancing. They advise against drinking too much when you first get into the high altitude zone but one or two never hurt anyone. In Puno, take advantage of "corner store" prices. We had 4 750ml beers for $2.50 (US equivalent). That was one of the funner experiences walking down the street drinking beers. You'll never get away with that in Toronto.

And then there as the night we returned from the homestay and all of us went to a nightclub. Out of the 15 people in our group 10 of us had to be walked back to the hotel including our guide. If you're doing the math some people had to make multiple trips...lol.
RichieRich

Postby lreel » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:01 pm

just home from my trip southern cross lima to rio and we did our home stay and it is fab we had two in a room and had lights and a toilet in our room very nice i would take a spanish phase book with you it was the only way we could talk with the kids (14 and 15)
lreel

Postby npodendorf » Mon May 23, 2011 5:08 pm

I agree with everyone, foodstuffs, soccer balls, etc. I think the handcrank flashlights are a brilliant idea.

When I went I stayed with a family with two women from Vancouver, Canada in my group. They brought a lovely calendar with brilliant pictures of canada for every month. The host mother and duaghters just loved the fantastics landscapes of a far away country so very different from their own. As someone said, postcards of your home might be good too.
npodendorf
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

PreviousNext

Return to South America