Pocket Knife

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Pocket Knife

Postby duchessofboblong » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:45 pm

Hey,

I am going on the Absolute Peru trip and I was looking at the packing list and it says I should take a pocket knife. Do I actually need one?!

If so, any suggestions as to what sort and what bits and bob attatchments might be useful

Any help muchly appeciated :D
duchessofboblong
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Pocket Knife

Postby ballu » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:17 pm

It's not necessary. I brought one and don't think I ever used it. I lost it two trips ago and haven't felt a need to replace.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby IndyGent » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:06 pm

Took a knife with me and never used it. I lent it to someone to make an extra hole in their belt. That Inca trail can really take the pounds off. If you take a pocket knife you always have to worry about packing it in your carry on by mistake.
IndyGent
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:33 pm

I ALWAYS carry a good pocket knife with me. It's the single most important survival tool you can have. You probably won't need to be worrying about survival but there are so many ways you can use a good knife.

As far as bits and bobs, it depends on what you think you're going to need or want to do with it. I like having a good strong single-blade lockback knife like a Buck 110 for all around use: cutting rope, cutting sausage, whittling, etc. My Buck has a nice strong sharp blade that I can use for everything from preparing dinner to opening cans. On occasion (like my Africa trip) I like to use a multi-tool that has pliers (useful for pulling tent stakes, picking up a hot pot, etc.), tweezers (useful for extracting splinters), can opener, etc. The knife blade isn't as strong as the Buck but I'm trading steel-puncturing strength for the utility of the pliers, specialized can opener, bottle opener -- and in Italy, Greece or Argentina, a corkscrew!

Having said all that, I'm an overgrown Boy Scout. Chances are that (on a GAP trip) your guide will have anything you need.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby DanielBMe » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:39 am

I also usually take one on all my trips. Can't say I ever used it BUT you never know when it might come in handy...actually now that I think of it I did use mine in India. After a long day of travel we came across a pineapple stand. I grabbed one and used my knife to slice it up and serve the pineapple to the group. It was soooooooo delicious!

I got a simple Leatherman for $19.99. Very good quality!
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby AdamfromCanada » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:14 am

DanielBMe wrote:I also usually take one on all my trips. Can't say I ever used it BUT you never know when it might come in handy...actually now that I think of it I did use mine in India. After a long day of travel we came across a pineapple stand. I grabbed one and used my knife to slice it up and serve the pineapple to the group. It was soooooooo delicious!

I got a simple Leatherman for $19.99. Very good quality!

I always take my Swiss Army knife. I've used the blade to cut various things, the screwdriver a couple times, but mostly the bottle opener and corkscrew! Always good to have those items!
Feel free to check out my travels on http://www.adammallonphotography.com
AdamfromCanada
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby whitling2k » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:41 pm

Bit late for a reply - but I think it depends who you are - I took mine and used it quite a lot, but then it's something I'd use at home anyway - little fixes, bottle opener, forcing windows open that have seized shut... But some people didn't bring or feel the need for one!

If your practical and use one at home, it's probably even more useful whilst away. Otherwise, don't bother.

Whitling2k
whitling2k
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to South America