Shoes in Peru--Amazon jungle

From the mystical peaks of the Andes to the tango rhythm of Argentina, South America has an undeniable energy that pervades everything.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Shoes in Peru--Amazon jungle

Postby limiller77 » Wed May 16, 2007 1:46 am

I am leaving for Peru at the end of this month and was wondering what types of shoes you took for the trip? Would hiking shoes be good for both the amazon jungle and the inca trail? What about the other times?
thanks!
:)
limiller77
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby ballu » Wed May 16, 2007 8:49 am

I took hiking boots and a pair of sandals...hiking shoes would easily do instead of the boots.
ballu

Postby little_miss_sunshine » Wed May 16, 2007 9:44 am

I agree with Ballu - hiking shoes & sandals (of the water / hiking / running variety) should do you fine.
happy trails,
lms
little_miss_sunshine
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Shoes in Peru--Amazon jungle

Postby srayner » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:42 pm

Hello,

We are doing the Peru Panorama tour in July and am concered about making sure i have the right hiking boots. Can anyone provide some info on how i would know if my boots are fitting properly? Should they be extra tight? Is some extra room at the toes a good thing? Do you typically wear the same size hiking boot as you would a regular shoe? Any advise you can give would be great. I would hate to get to the begining of the Inca trail and not be able to finish because my boots are killing me. Thanks for your help!
srayner
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:02 pm

srayner wrote:Hello,

We are doing the Peru Panorama tour in July and am concered about making sure i have the right hiking boots. Can anyone provide some info on how i would know if my boots are fitting properly? Should they be extra tight? Is some extra room at the toes a good thing? Do you typically wear the same size hiking boot as you would a regular shoe? Any advise you can give would be great. I would hate to get to the begining of the Inca trail and not be able to finish because my boots are killing me. Thanks for your help!

Wherever you plan to buy the hiking boot/shoe can advise you on whether or not you need extra room based on the boot you have chosen. The ones I chose run large so I needed a 1/2 size smaller than my regular shoe. In fact, they changed that about their sizes between the first pair I bought and their replacement a couple of years later! They are the high side ankle support type and I found them very stiff at first. Once broken in I found them to be really, really comfortable. Take some kind of flipflop or small sandal you can change into at the end of each day on the Inca Trail though, your feet will be happy! Whatever kind you buy allow enough time to break them in and be sure to bring/wear them on the plane in case your luggage gets lost. One of our group lost her luggage and didn't get it back until long after we finished the Inca Trail :(
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby graybeard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:08 pm

When I did this trip, rubber boots were provided by the lodge for many of the hikes due to very wet and muddy trails. Good idea to wear a pair of socks inside to increase comfort, fit and decrease chance of poor fit leading to blisters. For the trails that were dry the footwear that I used on the Inca trail was just fine. Open sandals not a good idea for us tourists due to risk of bug bites, scrapes, etc. Remember long sleeve shirt and pants are a must.
graybeard

Postby andreosa » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:40 pm

Also: note that boots will probably provide you with better ancle support than shoes...
andreosa

Postby markmol » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:07 am

also buy good quality hiking socks, they have extra padding & your feet will thank you
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol

Postby TravelFun » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:06 pm

It was hiking boots for me!

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby Zuleika » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:50 pm

We had wellies provided in the amazon jungles.
For hiking boots I find the most comfortable goretex mid boot. There are soft. I always get slightly too large, maybe a half size - as you need to ideally wear 2 pairs of socks, a liner and a hiking sock. Coolmax socks/liners are especially comfortable and I always wear these and never had a blister. Any decent outdoor shop should be able to advise you and often have a sock you can try on with the boot. Also they should have a ramp in the shop so you can see what the boot feels like walking up/down steep hills.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to South America